Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 09-02-2003, 06:20 AM   #1
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Historic race: Roberts first win and the RC-51s last win.

All good things must come to an end twin heads. Next year the CBR1000RR will be the Honda flagship. Great win for Roberts. I predict many more for Kurtis. He is a class act and has shown that he can win on a inferior bike.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2003, 07:12 AM   #2
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Pfff...

Kurtis needs to get a clue. He'll still lose on the new bike.

He was impressive at VIR but I've got to believe it was a fluke. It helps me sleep at night if I do.

Not a KR fan can you tell.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 07:32 AM   #3
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Superbike VIR Results

Does anyone know when Speedcrap's broadcast rights are up. I am fed up with them, they pulled out on sunday (according to other sites). Thats disgusting treatment of a national racing event, hell they set around dragstrips for a week or more to show the entire event, and they are happy to braodcast a 4 year old car race, but hang around one more day to actually have coverage of a motorcycle race is impossible for them to do.

Some company needs to get the broadcast rights away from Speed, and get these races there due broadcast time. A well covered event could provide 3 hours of entertainment, between the superbike, and supporting classes, with interviews, histories, track info. Just look at a Nascar broadcast, they cover the entire race event, not just the start and finiish.

Rant off.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 07:38 AM   #4
ValkBandit
Registered Member

i agree; they suck. but in the u.s. they are the only game in town (and they KNOW it).
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 07:47 AM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

The real question is whether SpeedTV owns the rights or AMA Superbike just bought airtime. With popular events (NFL, NASCAR, etc.), a network buys the rights to broadcast the event and gets to profit from the ad time sold.

CART for example, actually buys the airtime from CBS and Speed and sells its own commercials. No network stepped up to buy the rights to CART. That is why the races are typically presented in two hour windows and why there is usually very little time for interviews at the end of the race. I suspect AMA superbike is in the same boat.

I agree with your rant but let's face it, our passion for the sport doesn't equal ratings. You'll notice there are very few advertisers during the races and the ratings are dismal.

Hopefully the AMA can use Supercross as an example and Superbike will grow the same way.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 08:09 AM   #6
nokneedragin
Founding Member

I know were all in the minority on this, but I think that AMA needs to look at there sucess with Supercross, and take notes from Nascar (flame away but read on).

Nascar in the 60's and 70's was very little TV time but they brought the big races in. They made it manditory for all drivers to be fan friendly, had the anouncers that knew what they were talking about, actually tell the viewing audience what just happened on a pass, pit stop, whatever and made it sound huge in the terms of the race.

When I can get a local sports bar to show a race, the Nascar guys bit*h about losing a TV to watch, but after the race starts, they start paying as much attention to the MC race as they do the Nascar, even asking me questions about whats going on.

This is my personal experience, that leads me to believe with better TV coverage, and some subtle tweaks by AMA or the broadcast rights holder, could vault the MC racing up another level.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 08:42 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I totally agree with you. I think I made a similar point previously.

Look at the difference between NASCAR and CART. The NASCAR guys are friendly and approachable where when you attend a CART race the drivers act like the fans have Kooties!

At the Laguna Seca CART race last year I could scarcely get a word out of the current drivers yet I sat and chatted with Emerson Fittipaldi and Mario Andretti who were both perfect gentlemen and made the current drivers look small by comparison.

The problem Superbike has unlike Supercross is that once a racer starts to get popular he ends up going to MotoGP. Since Supercross is the highest level the stars stick around for a while. We really need a MotoGP race in this country.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 08:47 AM   #8
BRIAN_1
Founding Member

Where is E-bos?

I probably sound like a complete idiot, but when did he drop off the planet?
BRIAN_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 08:57 AM   #9
nomad76
Founding Member

Default VIR is crap

I was at the races this weekend, and having never been at VIR before, I can certainly say it's a second-rate facility. Besides the fact that it took them over THREE HOURS to clean up the oil on Sunday (and nobody's reporting on that yet, it seems), just long enough for the rain to start up, then rushed through the last three races Monday morning, there is hardly anything to cater to race fans who actually WANT to follow the race.

The track is in the middle of nowhere, the speaker system is bad, there are no TV screens to show the rest of the course, the "grandstands" are in three locations and can only seat about 20 people each, there's no access to the front straight, and there isn't even a place to go to see the start/finish line!

If you guys are serious about racing, write to AMA and tell them to dump VIR as a venue. The only good thing about it was lots of porta potties, and let me tell you, that's what the rest of the experience was like: full of ----!

Congrats to Kurtis, though, and I hope Jason Pridmore is OK after that get-off in Formula Xtreme.
nomad76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 08:59 AM   #10
nomad76
Founding Member

I hear he's been hurt since Laguna Seca.
nomad76 is offline   Reply With Quote