Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 09-02-2003, 08:06 AM   #11
ewok1
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Superbike VIR Results

he was taken out by yates in the first wsk race at laguna. he said officially that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. if he meant yates tried to do something that was impossible, lost control and took eric with him, then he is correct. eboz tried to ride a t mid ohio, couldn't and had surgery on his shoulder. so next year we should see him ahead of the suzukis on the zx10.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2003, 08:39 AM   #12
brickl
Founding Member

Default Even worse is...

...the fact that the AMA's coverage of VIR Race 2 on their web site was non-existent until well after the race was complete. The race had been complete for some time, yet nobody knew that the race had actually happened, or who had won until around 11am. The normal race update/lap time pages were not operable, either.

I fired off an email to the editor at www.ussuperbike.com to complain about it but received no reply. I can see sh*t-canning the net coverage on Monday morning if it were being televised, but to refrain from normal ops when the race is not on the tube is ridiculous. I mean, how do you expect to market (and grow) a friggin' racing series if nobody knows what's going on?

The first news I could get of the results was on the Roadracing World site, which seems to have most other racing oriented sites by the throat RE fresh content.
brickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 09:37 AM   #13
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: VIR is crap

I was wondering where the start/finish line was. It look like it was as far from the fans as possible.

The oil problem was apparently that they used some kind of dispersant and ended up spreading the oil all over the track and then it rained on top of that making a real mess.

I think Sadowski said they should finish the racing at the Barber facility.

If Roberts is going to have a chance next year isn't he going to have to stay on the bike?

VIR looked like a pretty area. Was the food good?
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 11:14 AM   #14
nomad76
Founding Member

Default Re: VIR is crap

I agree the area is pretty, way out in the middle of nowhere. The food and drink was plentiful and not so bad -- a bottle of water only cost $2 -- but if you want to actually watch the race, stay home and pray Speed decides to show it.

Maybe they should move the race to Virginia Motorsports Park, about 50 miles east and near I-85 and Richmond, or just have another round at Barber or Road Atlanta. Now *those* are good tracks.
nomad76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 12:28 PM   #15
zx-6r_maniac
Founding Member

Default Roberts a class act?

Roberts a class act? hes a cry baby....im happy to see him win. but some of the moves he makes on the track at times are very irresponsible if not dumb.
zx-6r_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 12:33 PM   #16
zx-6r_maniac
Founding Member

why cant the ama buy some air time on espn 2? hell, if the "worlds strongest man competition" can get on espn 2 the ama could have their races on prime time
zx-6r_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 05:22 PM   #17
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

TOTALLY AGREE! The Nascar Channel (Speedcrap) SUCKS! Boy do I miss Speedvision! I'm actually kind of interested in NASCAR (less and less) but another 10+ channels seem to cover it WAY more than sufficiently for me. Hopefully someone else will get the rights for FIM, AMA, and all the other staples Speedvision used to be about (Bikes, Cars, Planes, Boats, ie the pursuit of SPEED) from them and do it right. Speedvision was right on for me, it seemed to be run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. I still can't get over their (Speedcraps) pulling coverage from a live (hotly contested!) event to do a Nascar race wrapup. They have no passion and should be *****-slapped!

Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 06:37 AM   #18
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Have to agree with you Buzboy. AMA needs to reach out.

This really hurts. Buz you are right. Even though we love motorcycle racing we are such a minority that Speed would probably do better dropping Motorcycle racing all together. AMA needs to speed less time on non issues (helmet laws) and more time on growing the sport. Maybe AMA racing needs to pick a charity to sponsor. The NFL did this with the United Way and it helped build the good will . It creates free publicity and would show the human side of the racers. People like the Bostroms and Haydens would be great

at attracting folks
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:07 AM   #19
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Thats my point!!!!!

It turns out that a company called "Chet Burks Productions" has the rights to the series (wonder who in the AMA he paid off). Sorry its not an active link, but here is his lame excuse for SPEED pulling the coverage:

http://www.amasuperbike.com/2003-Sep/031002w.htm
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:11 AM   #20
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default OOPS!

He just produces the show, sorry. Still a lame excuse, your in position anyway. The crew is put up through monday night. I know this from friends that work as lighting and sound crews for shows, the production company will usually hold them over a holliday night due to the higher cost of travel on those days.

But my point is still that The worlds strongest man gets on ESPN2 then buy time there to get more coverage for the sport.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote