Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 08-20-2003, 04:29 AM   #1
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Fire, fire!

Ahh, I love the smell of (cyber) napalm in the morning.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2003, 05:54 AM   #2
brickl
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Superbike Rules

Well it's pretty significant that I4's are only allowed stock throttle bodies and airboxes. Pridmore gained 15hp before mid-ohio by finally getting a crude facsimile of Mladin's unobtainium twin-injector setup working. Lord only knows how many HP Mladin is up on the rest of the field.

If Ducati comes in with a team supported and staffed by Italy it will be a real shootout depending on what the other Japanese mfgr's have up their sleeves for '04.

Katie, bar the door before model year 2005/6! If I4 mfgr's are required to use stock componentry we may see some brutally fast machines available at the dealerships.

I wonder if it might not be possible that the Japanese mfgr's turn to a Ducati-like model, where they only offer the juicy performance bits to buyers of limited edition, ultra-expensive "racing" models? That way they could keep the 180hp bikes out of the hands of Starboyz admiring, pimple-faced Johnnys?
brickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:03 AM   #3
detansinn
Founding Member

SuperStock:

Hmm. 745-1000cc? Sounds like a "Kawasaki 636" clause. Expect this class to become increasingly boring when the grid is filled with mildly-tuned slow-turning liter-bikes. It would be a whole lot more fun if the class also allowed 600cc machines with "unlimited" modifications. Yeah, that would last about 1 year, but there's alot of appeal to giant killers. Heck, let's add SuperMotards and run it like American LeMans. :P

Formula Xtreme:

I like the changes to Formula Xtreme as it had become indistinguishable from Superbike. The new rules should bring some interesting Buells and the odd 2V Ducati to the grid. From the above, it looks like a highly modified XB12 with a turbocharger or supercharger is legal. That would be COOL. It could also be a boon for Ducati Dual Spark big bore kits. haha

GP Sadness:

Looks like bad news for Rich Oliver unless he feels like riding a diesel.
detansinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:10 AM   #4
SteadyRoller
Founding Member

Default Multi-cylinder rules

These should pose no problem for the Boss Hoss since it is pretty much perfect from the factory... at least mechanically. Other things you have to do to tweak out the Hoss are get lots of chrome, a good paint job, and a wheelie bar.

I would enter my Hoss into the super bike races, but there is no way they're gonna get me to put on a set of leather pajamas and a lid. Just a good pair of arm chaps and a pack of Marlboro's is all I need.

Well I gotta go and talk to those biches at the platers. They won't stand behind their work saying something like the finish is flaking because I bent my wheelie bars riding down curbs.

SR
SteadyRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:12 AM   #5
detansinn
Founding Member

Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki have all released homologation bikes in the past. Honda and Yamaha are also experienced with pricing them in the stratosphere. Suzuki has more or less always been the maker of the "Superbike for the people".

Recall:

Honda RC30, NR750, RC45

Yamaha FZR750OW01, YZF-R7

Kawasaki ZX-7RR

I don't think Ducati coming to the US with a full factory team necessarily ensures success or dominance. The tracks on the AMA circuit are a different animal in terms of chassis development and power delivery. That said, we could be surprised. Eraldo and Doug really kicked ass on both sides of the pond with the red bikes.

Suzuki will continue to evolve the GSXR-1000 to fit the rules -- see this year's Gixxer. I would be shocked to see any further development of the GSXR-750 as it's days are numbered.

I've just got a hankering for the 600cc Desmodieci machine that's coming. Oops, I said too much.
detansinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:24 AM   #6
Woody650
Founding Member

Moto Guzzi recently annouced they plan to return to racing with a 1250cc "race kit" version of their air-cooled twin in the new MGS/01, suggesting they were working with the AMA to define class rules appropriate for the new bike.

Looks like they'll be in Formula Xtreme...
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:16 AM   #7
obandoj
Founding Member

Well, well, we are back to the same crap that was going on a few years ago, where the inline 4's were kicking but and the AMA gave the twins weight and tuning advantages to even the score, then the twins, namely Ducati learned how to make serious horse power and turned the tables, then Honda jumped on the band wagon, now, after much crying by the 4 cylinder guys, they are allowed to run 1000 c.c's and turn the tables on the twins, namely Honda and Ducati, now they give the twins some technical advantages, until they start kicking some 4 cylinder butt, then........
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:14 AM   #8
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default I love the part where...

the AMA were all saying how the new 4-banger rules will let privateers in the door. For one season it did. We'll see how it works out with new literbikes from Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda not to mention the Suzuki, now with c/r gearsets that will certainly be available to everybody equally... should make RC51 quite the collectible.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:16 AM   #9
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Then again,

it'll be fun to watch the Buells kick them whiny 600's right out of the park.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:48 AM   #10
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Its always a game, as is well documented, all modifications being equal a I4 will produce more power than a vtwin or I3 or any lesser cyl configuration. Also a liter sized V8 will produce more power.

Next year they will probably remove some weight from i3's and vtwins to make thing more even, they raised the weight requirements on everone when they allowed liter I4 bikes to race, I'd bet so they could fiddle with it later.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote