Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   AMA Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/)
-   -   Laguna Seca Pole (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/1971-laguna-seca-pole.html)

sjriott 07-11-2003 05:37 AM

Re: Laguna Seca Pole

Is it just me or does it seem like Mladin should be racing elsewhere?

He is a little too fast and experienced for AMA Superbike but would probably get spanked in World Superbike and MotoGp is way out of his league.

Just seems like he rides here so he can win races. Plus, I think he's a ****head.

KPaulCook 07-11-2003 05:44 AM

Given that WSB has a shaky future, MotoGP would be his only jump. I disagree he would be spanked in WSB. MotoGP he would probably be where Hopkins, Edwards and Hayden are at.

KPaulCook 07-11-2003 05:50 AM

KPauls Predictions

Because the weather forcast is for moderate temps and the race starts at 12 not latter during the hottest part of the day, Mladin will win, Yates Second, Bostrom Third. i.e. Tires won't be a problem

The slow death of the V-Twin in racing continues

longride 07-11-2003 06:08 AM

Yes, you are correct in your assumption. Really good racers use the AMA racing as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. They test themselves against the world's best, and don't make a career bragging about AMA championships. Kenny Roberts would have won 15 of em if he stayed here, but Mladin is bragging about winning 3.

ValkBandit 07-11-2003 06:08 AM

slow death?

slow death of v-twin continues? gadzooks, man, don't tell neil hodgeson.

SmokeU 07-11-2003 06:17 AM

Re: KPauls Predictions

How slow is slow?? 10 years? 20 years? Maybe we should start talking about the half life of carbon 14 or something instead.

sjriott 07-11-2003 06:25 AM

Mladin raced 500 GP's in 1993. He's gone way backwards in classes. We'll see how he hangs with Hodgson and Xaus in WSB at one of his series regular tracks. I am fairly certain that he'd have his ass handed to him by the WSB guys.

Hayden and Hopkins are young and moving up in classes. Mladin's career is winding down and he's going backwards so I don't see how that's relavent. He's just hanging out beating the up and coming stars instead of racing against his peers.

I agree that people like Kenny Roberts or Freddie Spencer would have cleaned house had they stayed in the AMA. Most competetive people WANT to race against the best, not sandbag to win a trophy or title. What a loser.

KPaulCook 07-11-2003 07:11 AM

Re: slow death?

Opps I forgot about the doomed Ducati cup (WSB)

KPaulCook 07-11-2003 07:19 AM

Re: KPauls Predictions

In racing. Harley will be around until Ducati buys them.

KPaulCook 07-11-2003 07:24 AM

Defending Mladin Again :)

Just because he is not Spencer or Roberts doesn't mean his riding should not be respected. Every one has a role. Not having an AMA race with Mladin would be crime. His competitiveness can only help sharpen the sword of younger riders. I suspect he race until the end of his current contract and then go back and concentrate on his dealerships in Austrailia. I love his outspokeness about the rules, tracks etc. His riding is terrific.