Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 07-02-2003, 07:17 AM   #1
SisterMary
Registered Member

Default Re: SisterMaryKim and the Go Show

I would like to point out that I have ulterior motives for taking 2nd place...the winner has to buy lunch! Oh, and we aren't even on the same team, but we are both MOtards so I guess that makes up for it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2003, 07:21 AM   #2
Lowrez
Founding Member

I'd say my brother-in-law gives better color coverage for high school football games in Oregon than what we get for AMA Superbike races.

If I could change just one thing about the AMA Superbike series, it'd vote for the two races on a single day format like World SBK. Better announcers, though, would still be a welcome change.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 07:32 AM   #3
KPaulCook
Banned

I am a big Sadowski fan. The guy is an excellent color guy. Everytime I watch an AMA race I learn something from him. Maybe you more experienced folks are beyond the learning stage and need more entertainment . Greg White is excellent as well. So I guess I wonder if adding Gobert is such a good idea i.e. too many cooks in the kitchen. . I agree with others that AMA should have races all on the same day like WSB. This would consolidate their TV time int one block on weekends.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 07:33 AM   #4
runner00
Founding Member

What surprises me is the lack of technical information concerning the bikes themselves and why one engine configuration maybe dominant at a certain point. Mostly we get and the honda's are dominating for example. Well anyone can see that ...tell me why ???

I'd like to know what is going on inside those machines as well as the racers head. Tell me those two things in a evolving fashion from race to race. There is not enough attention to the bikes configuration as related to the standings. Whats the major difference between the dominant bike at the moment and the less dominant bikes.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 07:52 AM   #5
piinob
Founding Member

Amen to that bro.
piinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:35 AM   #6
john
Founding Member

There are entire books that cover why a 4 cylinder will always make more power than a twin, at a given displacement. It basically, however, has to do with its ability to rev.

A twin has a bigger bore and stroke, assume all the motors have piston speeds of around 4000feet per minute. that is alot. twins have a longer stroke, so they carry less revs at that 4000fpm ceiling. HP is something like torque*rpm/5225 i cant remember exactly and dont feel like looking it up. so anyways, that means a higher revving inline 4 will be able to use its higher rpms at a given displacement to make more HP. This is also the reason for the difference in displacement.

However, Twins have an advantage in other areas. Their firing order puts 2 pulses right next together, so there are little pauses in its power. this allows the tire to recover and get good drive. Inline 4's tend to have even firing spacing, either 180 or 360 degrees. this means a cylinder is always firing, and this is supposedly why the twins have better "drive" off of corners. When they talk about "torque" being the advantage, i think what they mean is that the 4 cylinders make the same power higher up, so the tire will want to sllide sooner. Its not that they need more torque, its just that they need it lower, so there is more time between firing of the pistons, again, for grip.

Thats the theory of it, anyways. The real bread and butter comes down to money, i think, although Ducati has someone debunked that, as they are giving Honda a run. It could just be because Ducati is much more of a racing oriented company, and that makes up for any financial shortcomings.

And also, those Kawasakis are friggin tanks!!! those frames really are dented to *****, and they are still running them!
Old 07-02-2003, 11:48 AM   #7
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Ashley, I noticed that you and Mary Kim placed first and second on the podium, but no one was in third place. Did you two win because no one else was in the race? BTW you'd look better in a less atractive hat. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 01:03 PM   #8
ivan_plunkett
Founding Member

i vote for sadowski.

my wife likes sadowski.

he is funny, informative and insightful.

would gobert add anything to the discussion? who knows. if you want better commentary, give sadowski the microphone more often.
ivan_plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 01:08 PM   #9
NotoriousDJW
Registered Member

Ashley,

Congrats on the cycling results. I think we need a cycling/motorcycle racing biathlon event in california sometime in January. Get Troy Bayliss and Mladin to lead it since they're both supposed to be big cyclists.

As far as commentators go, I think that the pace of motorcycle racing is less conducive to the relaxed commentary you get on OLN during the Giro or TdF. I would blame Speedvision but honestly their Formula 1 coverage is in depth and so is the coverage of Nascar technical stuff....not that Nascar has any technology. Isn't that ironic?

In depth technical coverage like the stuff Kevin Cameron produces in Cycle World would make a great lead-in to the race and Sadowski, while no Bob Roll, is OK with me.

Enough of that. Launch bicycle.com already! I ping the site periodically to see if it's up.

Dennis

(a mediocre Cat 5)

NotoriousDJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 03:50 PM   #10
staff
Registered Member

Default We are MO....

We aren't proud

I think there were 20 or so in the event....

staff is offline   Reply With Quote