Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 06-02-2003, 04:19 AM   #1
SmokeU
Registered Member

Default Re: Pikes Peak Superbike Results

That ancient Kawi sure is competitive.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2003, 04:31 AM   #2
stormcloud
Founding Member

Incredible stuff - says a lot for the original design, the development, the team and of course the rider. - its amazing nobody has snatched him away to WSB or MOTOGP.

The Kwaka still goes surprisingly well in SBK and British Supers too.

Makes you wonder why they cant make enough power in MotoGP.
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 05:35 AM   #3
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default the kwacker is a dinosaur ...

it's bostrom that's setting the racing world afire. give that boy a gixer and he'd lap second place.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 06:20 AM   #4
rsheidler
Founding Member

In WSB, the Kwacker has been pretty much crap -- unless you consider finishing in 11th (out of 17 finishers) to be good results. They did get an 8th at Sugo which is their best finish this year. Last year they got 2 4th place finishes, but in both cases, the rider had home track advantage (Walker at Silverstone and EBoz a Laguna Seca) so that can be credited to the rider more than the bike.

In fairness, they did outscore Suzuki last year (beat Suzuki 16 out of 26 rounds).

I give EBoz, and the mechanics an crew of his team, 99% of the credit for his results.

Given the lackluster results for Kawasaki's MotoGP effort to date, he is lucky that Pitt got that ride this year.

What I found amazing this weekend is how far off the pace he was in practice and qualifying -- when someone makes that much gain, I usually assume that they were having difficulty finding the right setup, but, it Eric is telling the truth, they didn't mess with the setup at all -- it was all the rider finding what works!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 07:54 AM   #5
danch
Founding Member

That makes the second time this year that he decided to turn it up a notch rather than have his team play with setup. He was so smooth out there yesterday, it was unreal.

And next year he 'gets' to start developing a brand new bike, from the look of it.
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:27 AM   #6
Marcos_Peguero_1
Founding Member

The problem is GP is the tires, not the engine, I think.

Marcos_Peguero_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:28 AM   #7
zx-6r_maniac
Founding Member

Default Re: the kwacker is a dinosaur ...

not so sure about lapping the second place with a gixxer at that track given the tire issues the suzook guys had, but he'd probably win every other race just like mladin.
zx-6r_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:36 AM   #8
zx-6r_maniac
Founding Member

Default Re: you know what bothers me?

now mladin is calling pike peak a "not proper racetrack" how bout that? not only the guy gets smoked by the teenager of a motorcycle that the kawi is, but still manages to whine like a little girl. he went off on e-boz when he stated the truth about the cc/hp/torque disadvantage calling him immature etc. i wonder what eboz will say now. you know, i like the way mladin rides but thats not right. if you lose, be a man and accept your defeat.
zx-6r_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:48 AM   #9
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: you know what bothers me?

I agree about Mat -- have to respect his talent, but sometimes he is such a poor sport. Should take a lesson from someone like Rossi in how to be a gracious loser as well as winner.

I do agree about those bowl courses not being "proper racetracks" but more for safety reasons -- too effin many walls (which is why they couldn't race in the rain) too close to the race surface. When I was racing in the MRA in Colorado, I was too chicken to race on that track. Sounds like what Mat was bichin' about was the fact that it didn't suit his bike -- too bad, some tracks will suit some bikes/riders and other tracks will favor different bikes and riders. That is how it is supposed to be! Deal with it!

Road America should make him happy, as it is the antithesis of PPIR.

Cheers

Bob
Old 06-02-2003, 10:56 AM   #10
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Gixxer Tire Problems?

Not so sure that the Gixxer has had tire problem so much as it is that Mladin had tire problems -- maybe a pattern there, as at Daytona and of course Atlanta. Yates (and Spies in FX) seem to not have the same problems. From watching, you would think Yates would destroy his tires, but so far, that does not seem to be the case.

It may be a matter of tire selection or bike setup, or perhaps Yates is just better able to continue with a tire that has turned to crap.