Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 06-02-2003, 03:48 AM   #1
Zedex7R
Registered Member

Default Re: Pikes Peak Supersport Results

When did they run the race? I watched Speed on Sunday and all I saw was the superbike race. I kept waiting for the SS race but no information was given as to when they would show it.

This is the kind of thing that PISSES ME OFF about Speed TV. They don't keep you updated as to a revised schedule when there is any type of delay. Nothing on the website, nothing but a vague crawler on the bottom of the screen with no REAL information in it. You always have to find out after the fact. Now, you know if this was a NASCAR race, there would have been constant updates and reminders from SPEED!! This kind of crap is BULLSH*T!! NASCAR is on 4 freakin' channels for God's sake!!

Am I asking too much?
Zedex7R is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2003, 05:57 AM   #2
sx1k
Founding Member

Well, talk to the FCC about coroporate dominance of the media.

THX
sx1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 07:05 AM   #3
sjriott
Founding Member

You should try watching the Motocross series on ESPN2. Last week they substituted womens softball instead of the race. At least Speed will run the races on Tuesday which is better than nothing.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:51 AM   #4
KPaulCook
Banned

I agree with you but NASCAR is like criusers, I keep thinking their popularity will go down but every year I am proven wron.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:32 AM   #5
rsheidler
Founding Member

I understand your frustration, but in fairness, it is pretty hard for SpeedTV to predict Colorado weather. I was regularly checking with the AMA site to get an updated schedule and didn't get much there either.

NASCAR had nothing to do with why we didn't see the 600s race. Hell, we did actually get more motorcycle racing time than scheduled -- albeit rerunds from Road Atlanta.

What should SpeedTV have done differently? I guess they could have preempted the F1 coverage later in the afternoon -- in spite of the fact that Formula 1 has (for reasons I cannot fathom) a much higher audience share.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:56 AM   #6
Whatmough
Founding Member

Man zx got it right corporate dominance of the media with more of the same to come. Hope you like Nascar and WWF cause eventually that's what you're going to be getting, along with C & W music.
Whatmough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 11:04 AM   #7
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Interesting Battle of the Brands

Interesting to see how the SuperSport results are rolling out in the different series.

In World SuperSport (WSS) Suzuki jumped out to a surprise early lead in the championship battle, to be overtaken by Honda. Yamaha and Kawasaki have not yet seriously challenged. In the AMA, Honda was strong at Daytona, and Suzuki pulled out a surprise win at Atlanta, but overall, it has been a Yamaha show. Having since been busted for cheating, the Honda and Suzuki wins must be somewhat tainted as well.

So, how is it that Honda, and to a lessor extent, Suzuki, are so strong in WSS, while getting their asses whooped in AMA? Some of this may be due to the riders, teams and race budgets in the respective series. However, given the strength of the American Honda team and the satellite Erion and Bruce teams, that does not fully explain the difference in results.

Someone on another site with whom I was discussing this topic suggested that it was due to differences in AMA vs WSS rules. I did a quick search and concluded that he was right.

Most rules are identical -- down to the same exact wording, but the following seem to be key differences:

WSS allows --

Porting/polishing intake and exhaust ports

Polishing and reshaping combustion chambers

Aftermarket camshafts so long as lift is stock (duration is open)

Replacement valve springs and keepers (AMA allows only shimming of stock springs)

Replacement valves

Modified or replacement air ducts to airbox

Replacement fasteners (aluminum for non-critical, titanium for critical applications)

Size and location of Battery is open

Plus AMA has a claiming rule for a number of the components which can be replaced (that is AMA or contestants can buy them from another competitor for a set -- and fairly reasonable -- price) reducing the temptation to go extremely high-tech with these components.

Both series allow machining cylinder and head matching surfaces to raise compression; however WSS (and also WSB) must run on unleaded gas of not over 90 octane, which effectively limits the compression that can be used. I believe that most of the AMA bikes run race gas so probably have higher compression ratios.

My hypothosis is that the Hondas and Suzukis respond well to the more radical cam timing and porting etc allowed by WSS rules, while Yamaha, and perhaps Kawasaki do better closer to stock, but perhaps with higher compression, as per AMA rules.

Bob

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 03:05 PM   #8
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Theory 2 Track Differences???

How about track differences. Ben Bostrom was saying the tracks in Europe are more high speed flowing affairs. In U.S. have stop and go 1st gear stuff he said. Could this be why the Honda does better in WSS and worse in AMA? While Yamaha is the quicker handling bike thus does better in Pikes Peak and Fontona etc. Just a thought
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 03:36 PM   #9
Fugger
Founding Member

Default It's both. . .

It's the tracks and the rules. The Honda is bread to be breathed on. It's heavier but makes gobs of power. All that power is really well suited to the substantially faster tracks in WSS. Ten Kate Honda seems to be the premier tuner. However, Belgardia (sp??) Yamaha and their rider Jurgen Van den Goorborgh (sp??) posted nearly Superbike speeds at Phillip Island. There's a pretty substantial difference between the bikes and tracks in WSS and AMA SS.

You'll also notice the difference the tracks make in AMA SBK vs WSBK. Ducati's are comparably poor handling and get spanked on the tighter tracks in the US, whereas their big HP adavantage and high speed stability are well suited to the WSBK circuits.
Fugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 05:49 PM   #10
ER1B
Founding Member

Hell, can ya tell the difference? They are both hyped to death. Nascar has evolved into overblown spec racing devoid of the ingenuity and creativity of the old days. And WWF? I can't help but see the simularities...

ER1B is offline   Reply With Quote