Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 05-06-2003, 01:30 PM   #51
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: The difference between WSB and AMA:

It is true that nearly all the Suzukis in AMA are privateers -- there are the 2 American Suzuki bikes and the satellite Corona team (which is less a satellite team than is Erion -- who get exactly the same machinery as American Honda's).

On the other hand, most of the Ducatis in WSB are essentially privateers as well. I think maybe one other team gets Ducati techncal support, and all the rest are on last year's (or 2-3 years prior) factory race bikes. For example, Steve Martin (the Australian, not the comic) is running a 1999 (?) vintage 996. I believe that they DO have an exchange program for motors -- they send in the used ones and get "new" ones -- whick the teams have to pay for.

Part of the reason for the Suzuki domination of AMA starting fields (speaking in terms of raw numbers, not race results) is the contingency program. Nearly all these guys are basically club racers who do a few AMA races that come to their part of the country. In prior years, they ran GSX-R 750s and now most run 1000s. Most are in Supersport trim (running slicks for AMA) because in club racing, to maximize contingency money, you need to be able to run several classes. Most logical is to run supersport and superbike and maybe one of the open classes.

My point is that if both WSB and AMA face the same issue (and largely for the same reason -- they waited too late to change the rules) of having races dominated by one brand. Personally, it doesn't bother me that much -- hell, I think the BMW Boxer Cup was the best race at Daytona, and some of the best races I have seen have been Aprilia 250 cup races. If good racing is what you want to see, who really cares what brand of bike? Still, for a lot of people, it IS important to see their favorite brand being competitive.

If Yamaha and Kawasaki do not step up and build bikes that will match the gixxer on the track, both WSB and AMA will have a hard time keeping fan interest.

For me, as much as I love my Ducati, I was cheering for Colin's Honda in last year's WSB, and this year I am cheering on Corser's Petronas and Lavilla's Suzuki (I predict he will soon get his first win).
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2003, 01:49 PM   #52
dardas
Founding Member

Default Re: OMLWDIB?

Yeah, again, the best riders usually get the best rides. I dont' see any problem wiht that opinion (?) The hondas are fine bikes (well the ones from the loaded teams, anyway)

And... Bollox Edwards is competitive in MotoGP. He's still learning the tracks. The cube is a fine bike. He's just not as good as Rossi or the top ridershe moment) The Aprilia didn't throw him off at Welkom, you know.
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 01:55 PM   #53
_searcher_
Founding Member

Default Sitting in the stands

Surprising how few people talked about the 600SS race - it was the most impressive race to see in person. The speed of the two front runners (Hacking and Buckmaster, of all people) was well ahead of the competition - including Duhamel, who crashed trying to keep up. In particular, either the acceleration of the Yamahas or the line those two riders took out of turn 1 made them scream up the hill towards turns 2 and 3 in a visually impressive way that no other riders seemed to match.

Overall, the 600SS race was great, and although Backmaster did well on his hybrid R7/R1 last year, it was a surprise to see him frustrating Duhamel and harrassing Hacking.

Great stuff!
_searcher_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 01:58 PM   #54
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Prediction

>>Honda was running 6 cylinder 250's 25 years ago<<

Not to mention the inline 5 cyl 125s they raced before the rules-makers stepped in and limited 125s to 1 cyl! By extention, they would build a 40 cylinder 1000! Wonder what sort of configuration you would use for a 40 cylinder motor?

Oh yeah, I have not double-checked, but I think it was more like 35 years ago.

The whole evolution of what is considered ideal cylinder size has gone all over the place over the years. In the mid-50s, Moto Guzzi ran a V8 (I think 500cc) and a few years later, racing was dominated by 500 singles, before Honda came in with 6s and then Yamaha with 2-strokes.

I remember the 60s when Formula 1 had a 1500cc limit and Ferrari ran V12s -- now we have a 3000cc limit and they run V10s

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:38 PM   #55
abt
Founding Member

Default Re: Dammit Jim, it's Sears Point!

Their zeal to force everyone to start calling it by its *****d-out corporate name has apparently even extended to disabling the searspoint.com URL. You don't even get redirected to the new site; you just get a DNS error.
abt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:51 PM   #56
abt
Founding Member

Default Re: I like Mladin's attitude.

In the winner's circle after the second race, either before or after the TV crap, they had the AMA flagman present him with both of the checkered flags. He acted like it was some big chore to have to stand there and wave the flags for a couple of seconds for the tepidly applauding fans, and like he was afraid that his enemies would take this opportunity to TP his motorhome again . . . .
abt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:10 PM   #57
drthompson65
Founding Member

Default Re: Infineon Superbike Results

Whatever...
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:18 PM   #58
K8
Founding Member

Default Re: Dammit Jim, it's Sears Point!

Those BASTARDS!
K8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 03:26 AM   #59
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Prediction

A double V20 would be the correct configuration for a 40 cyl motor. Kinda like a Joe Smith dragster with a fairing. Plus you are right. It was more like 35 years ago for the Honda 6. I'm older than I thought! You mean they don't run inline fours in F1? Wow, I figured they would eventually get around to the best engine configuration in the history of the world. What a bunch of dumb ass engineers they must have. They need to hire KPaul.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:01 AM   #60
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Yes, it should be on the amount of air pumped

You are correct. An inline four can be made lighter than a v-twin of the same cc's. The larger mass of piston and rod weight along with the acceleration and deceleration forces, require a much heavier bottom end to keep it together, as well as bigger flywheels to keep all those pulses controlled.