Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 04-07-2003, 10:11 AM   #21
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Corrected Where is Sean

I will be anxiously awaiting Sean's report. 33rd is not at all shabby for his pro debut with a virtually box stock bike.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2003, 10:47 AM   #22
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Hats off to Yamaha. But Duhamel.... SportsRider review..

You have to say that maybe that extra weight the CBR has makes a difference. However, I know Miguel Duhamel was not 100% due to a SB crash in qualifying I think. But still Jake Zemke should have done better. By the way in my SportsRider mag arrived and placed the CBR slightly below the R6. Much like the Cycle World comparison. Too much weight basically. SR placed the ZX6R (636) third, with the same gripes as Cycle World. They also think the street CBR is more comfrontable than the racing version due to lower pegs.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:06 AM   #23
dardas
Founding Member

Default Re: Fontana Superbike Results

Mladin's the only foreigner in the American Superbike Championship and he won both races. Couldn't help but notice a little irony.
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:26 AM   #24
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Well, strictly speaking, all those Canadians are foreigners, too, but they are Americans, since Canada is in North America. But Gobert is an Aussie, just like Mladin, despite listing a CA address.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:31 AM   #25
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Jamie Hacking's not from America either- he's English.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:33 AM   #26
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

It's a bit of a shame, I think Eric would absolutely own AMA Superbike if he was on updated machinery. He consistently rides the wheels off that ZX-7.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 01:03 PM   #27
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Hats off to Yamaha. But Duhamel.... SportsRider review..

Also Duhamel may not have wanted to risk himself for the 2nd Superbike race -- same reason why BBoz, Kurtis and Yates are not racing the 600s.

The point I would make of all of this is that while there is a certain ego satisfaction in having a bike like you ride in the winners' circle, it doesn't really mean that it is the best track bike, let alone best street bike. Wins have a lot to do with who is the best rider, or the best prepared bike.

Look at all those race wins for the earlier generation CBR600s, from a bike that every magazine test picked as a great street bike, but somewhat off the pace on the track.

The other thing is that even in Superstock (and Supersport), there are enough mods allowed that it may not reflect the bike you would buy. I bet that Sean was the only Superstock in the field that did not have at least $1-2,000 of suspension upgrades, which probably goes a long way to explain why Sean was not better than 33rd place.

Tommy Hayden and Tony Meiring don't give a damn about the harsh suspension and steering instability that CW mentioned for the 636, because they have Ohlins, Penske, Fox or some similar high-end shock, and of course run with a steering damper (required by the rules).

Fact is, these are all great bikes, and with the proper setup and best rider, any one is capable of winning on any given day.

Old 04-07-2003, 01:13 PM   #28
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Aussies in AMA Racing

Actually, there are a bunch of Aussies in AMA racing, and there is a long history of that.

According to my Aussie friends, they have race programs to developing young racers (for the size of the country, look how many top WSB and GP riders they have produced) but there is little opportunity to actually make any money racing there. Top riders tend to go to Europe or the US when they are ready to go pro.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:48 PM   #29
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I think the REAL irony is Mladin not moving up after winning 3 championships in a row a couple years ago. I think he likes to be a big fish in a small pond. Last year's champ is in Moto GP now. Why is Mladin still doing the Mickey Mouse AMA stuff?
Old 04-07-2003, 03:25 PM   #30
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Mladin Fires Back At Eric Bostrom

Boz a cry baby??
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote