Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-12-2003, 05:23 AM   #71
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona 200, Live! And the winner is...

A talented rider, but he sure comes across like a real schmuck. Really hard to cheer for him.

Such a contrast to guys like any of the Bostroms or Haydens, or Colin or Troy or Rossi....these guys are gracious in victory or defeat and always come across as real sportsmen.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2003, 05:34 AM   #72
rsheidler
Founding Member

In the last WSB race, an R1 was the fastest qualifying 4 cyl, although in the race, Lavilla's Suzuki was much more successful.

Of course, WSB rules for the literbikes allow extensive mods, then make them breathe through restrictor plates. AMA allows only limited internal mods (eg no crank lightening, stock valve sizes etc) but no restrictors.

I am sure there will be more R1s and 954s as the season progresses. But at this point, Suzuki is the only Factory that is supporting the literbikes in either AMA or WSB.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:15 AM   #73
webdev511
Registered Member

Even though winning races sells bikes, since when have the bikes on the showroom floor been EXACTLY the same as the ones on the track?

I wouldn't doubt for a minute that American Honda spent $100k per bike to make them as good as they are on the track.

Superbike racing is about providing a platform for teams to tune and tweak to the nth degree. If I bought an RC51, it wouldn't be because I thought I was getting Colin Edward's WSB winner, but because it is the humble beginnings of that bike. it COULD be the same bike, but snowballs chance in hell i am gonna spend HRC money to get it that way.

For that matter I don't think any racing V-Twin is light off the showroom floor. Even the Ducs are kind of dogs until you put the race kit in them.

That said it really is all about the rider. A Squid on a GSXR 1000 still isn't as fast as a good rider on say a Honda HawkGT or SV650.

Anyone can do a roll on. Anyone can go fast in a straight line. What defines a rider is cornering speed.
webdev511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 11:17 AM   #74
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I'm not saying that it's bad they design them that way- it's actually better because they make better streetbikes. I would much rather own a bike that was designed for street use first because I don't race and have no plans to ever do so. I do agree with you that the next generation, unfortunately, will probably be no-holds-barred, full out racebikes with lights.

I also couldn't care less who buys what for bragging rights. If they want to to hang out at the local coffee shop/breakfast stop and flap their lips about chicken strips and how good a rider they are because they can power wheelie a 150hp bike in first gear, good for them. I don't care.

Old 03-12-2003, 11:21 AM   #75
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"I wouldn't doubt for a minute that American Honda spent $100k per bike to make them as good as they are on the track. "

I doubt it's anywhere near that cheap. I remember reading four or five years ago that an (Factory) World Superbike Spec Ducati ENGINE went for somewhere in the neighborhood of $150,000. God knows what a whole bike would cost nowadays.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:20 PM   #76
rsheidler
Founding Member

What I have read is that the racing kit (the officially homologated parts that you can legally change) runs in the range of $80, so you could probably build a reasonably competitive club racing RC51 for $100,000. That wouldn't get you close to Duhamel's RC51 though. I believe that HRC leased Colin's RC51 to the Castrol Team for 500,000 per year (and I believe that was Pounds Sterling, not dollars). That probably included engine rebuilds etc, but they still had to give the damn thing back at the end of the year.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:31 PM   #77
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Last year Britain's Superbike magazine did their Superbike of the Year comparison test. They picked 10 bikes for the comparison test. The also wrote a little note about 3 bikes which were left out of the comparo. The Yamaha R6, the Kawasaki ZX9R and the Honda SP-1(RC51). Here's why they left the RC51 out of the comparo. "Never lived up to the hype and annihilated on the big twins test, the SP-1 will hopefully benefit from WSB experience in 2002 to fulfil it's potential."

Anyways their 3rd pick in the comparo was the Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2nd place was the GSXR600 and 1st place was the GSXR1000. They didn't mention the SV650 or the Honda Hawk GT but no doubt they would have been in the thick of it as they tested at a fairly tight twisty track. "To get around here fast a bike must steer quickly and hold a pinpoint line for maximum speed at the apex. Drive out of a bend is equally important and especially difficult to achieve given that you're always trying to get on the gas will still cranked over."

Go Honda!!
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 01:23 PM   #78
cas4425
Founding Member

No, No, and No. I bought an RC because I love v-twins(had TLS but got tired of all the little stuff that kept breaking) Found the RC more comfortable than both my TLS and buddies 996 and got a hell of a deal on it. Hard numbers obviously don't mean much to me or I would have purchased a GSXR 1000. And who the hell was ever under the misconception that twins are light. Any idiot who has spent two hours around bikes knows twins are always on the heavy side (more stable). Most people can't ride modern sport bikes even close to their limits, look at the Boxer cup race, most of those guys could school 95% of the people who visit this web sight. In the end I actually ride(10k-15k miles per year here in Maine)and a RC is what does it for me. Honda craftmanship and v-twin soul.

P.S. Lighten-up just enjoy what you ride and learn to take a little ribbing. Sooner or later a Suzuki will win something....
cas4425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 03:22 PM   #79
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

I get it! You're another Ducati wantabe. You tried a TLS and moved up to the RC51. (TLS didn't have much road racing success did they?) You got a sweet deal on the RC51 and ohhhh it's so comfy compared to the 996. I've never had a misconception about modern twins being lightweight but many twins fans, especially the ones who don't own a twin (you know, your Ducati wantabe brothers) will still trot out that line. As for waiting around for Suzuki to win something; I don't worry too much about it. We've got Hondas, Kawasakis, Suzukis, an old Triumph Bonneville and a Yamaha in the garage. I love them all.
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 02:05 AM   #80
cas4425
Founding Member

Wow, you have all those bikes in the garage and you are this uptight! Brother you need to get out and RIDE. You are really starting to show your ignorance towards motorcycles. A TLS as a race platform? Suzuki never intented it to be, thats why they built the TLR (R for race, S for sport).

I have started to figure out one of two things, either your 13 and only catching half of what your Dad has taught you about bikes ( and the bikes in the garage are his) or you are the poser/squid that gives motorcyclist a bad image. Now go play with your 1/8 scale Bonneville.
cas4425 is offline   Reply With Quote