Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-10-2003, 06:21 PM   #51
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona 200, Live! And the winner is...

Just took a quick look back at the starting lineup for the 200. Seems like there were 3 RC51's, 1 Honda CBR954 (no show??) 1 Kawasaki ZX7R, 4 Ducati's, 3 Yamaha R1's, 33 GSXR1000's and 24 GSXR750's.

Here's a few questions. Can anyone, besides the Honda factory team, make an RC51 into a competitive machine? Where are the Honda CBR954RR's? Where are the Yamaha R1's? Where are the Aprillia's? Where are the Ducati's? Why is there only 1 Kawasaki ZX7R in a field of 69 bikes? Is this going to be a good season of AMA Superbike racing? It might good but it could be great.

Congratulations Honda on the 1-2-3 finish at Daytona. I'm sure you'll sell boatloads of RC51's now. By the way, there's still a new 2001 RC51 for sale in my home town. The dealer has it deep discounted but he still can't get rid of it. The same dealer has no trouble moving lots of GSXR's. Go figure......
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2003, 06:51 PM   #52
dardas
Founding Member

Bugger the Superbikes, did anyone see that Superstock race? Bloody Hell!

As for the Speedvision guys?

"THis year, Kawasaki gave it an extra 36 cubic centimeters specifically for this very competition....."

Gob****e!.... hasn't there been a 636 on sale and racing in Europe/Canada/Aus for 2 years now? I wouldn't have said anything only for the fact that he was quite proud of this bit of misinfo. and made sure to repeat it 3 or 4 times during the race.
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:55 PM   #53
dardas
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona 200, Live! RC51 sales

I think the percentage of bike punters that buy litre bikes and watch racing is not as high as it once was.

Bling Bling....
Old 03-10-2003, 07:04 PM   #54
dardas
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona 200, Kurtis: lucky sod.

If I were Kurtis ... with a wife lik his ... I'd have problems fitting my head into a helmet, too.

Old 03-10-2003, 08:07 PM   #55
KPaulCook
Banned

Default agree after watching the race on tape Yates blew it if he doesn't he wins

Yep i think Yates can get those evil twins.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 08:13 PM   #56
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Gobert looked great too

Not so fast twin pal. I just watched the race on tape. If Yates doesn't make an error he wins. He was closing on the RC51s but ran out of laps.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 02:51 AM   #57
cas4425
Founding Member

To all those squids who love their gsxr's; Just keep hanging out in the parking lot trying to impress 15 year old girls. A Kawasaki 636 beat the whole field. And as for the 200, suck v-twin a##. RC51 1,2,3 It doesn't get any better! And yes I own a RC and no I don't hate Suzuki's, just squids.
cas4425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 06:07 AM   #58
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona 200, Kurtis: lucky sod.

Big head or little head?

I believe she is his girlfriend, not his wife, but either way, I agree ..... lucky sod!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 06:16 AM   #59
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I'm not sure why the Aprilias and Ducatis aren't in there, but the 954 and the R1 are, contrary to what the press says, not designed to run in the Superbike class. They are race REPLICAS, and designed first for street use (where they spend 90% of their time), and second for track use. That's why they're designed with frames that flex a little (for low speed turns, like those you encounter on the street) and don't have steering dampers (like you would find on a racebike). However, my bet is that the next generation of these two machines will be designed first for track use so that the Honda and Yamaha can race them in Superbike, and also so the street squids will buy them to brag about having a Superbike-spec streetbike.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:28 AM   #60
rsheidler
Founding Member

I think the makeup of the field has most to do with how the factories support racing.

Suzuki dominates grassroots racing largely because they set out to do so. Of course there is the fact that they are the only factory to currently market a cutting-edge 750 sportbike, but beyond that, they have aggressively pushed club racing with very generous contingincy payouts for club racing. A talented privateer might actually MAKE a little money if he also can pick up some tire contingencies as well.

Honda has gone to the other extreme. They have put their money in factory teams or a few closely aligned teams. It seems to have been their stratagy to worry about getting the wins, rather than having many (or any) privateers on Hondas. For Superbike class, the RC51 requires a lot more "race kit" parts to be competitive than does the Gixxer, and they don't exactly go out of their way to make these readily available at reasonable prices. My guess is that a reasonably competitive RC51 would cost close to $100,000 -- I am sure that you couldn't touch one of the factory bikes for several times that.

BTW, I have heard (unconfirmed) reports that Honda were not at all happy with Chandler's plans to run the 954RR in Superbike, and that MAY have influenced his decision to pull out at the last minute. I havea lso heard that they have not been happy with some of the 954 entries in the British Superbike Championship and scuttled some proposed WSB entries.

Honda have recently announced a contingency payout program (Sean wrote it up a couple of weeks back) that could result in more privateer Hondas, at least in the 600 SuperSport classes.

Kawasaki and Yamaha have typically had reasonable contingency programs and have actively promoted grass roots racing, but probably not as agressively as Suzuki. They also have not had bikes that were really suitable for Superbike racing for awhile. A lot of clubs have had classes for the liter bikes, and there are some R1s out there, but they are mostly running under either Supersport rules where mods are limited, or in Formula Extreme spec, where they may be modified beyond current Superbike rules. My guess is that with the current limited modifications allowed for the AMA literbikes, the R1 would not be competitive with the big gixxer, which is why Yamaha chose to sit it out for this season, while concentrating on 600 Supersport.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote