Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-10-2003, 10:31 AM   #31
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: EBoz

Yeah, I agree. Too bad he couldn't have known it would rain out the 200 on Sunday, though.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2003, 10:37 AM   #32
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: It's a matter of focus.

I will bet that one of the big gixxers WILL be at the top of the podium at least once this season. After today, my money is on Yates. Spies is also very impressive -- and he is only 18!

Old 03-10-2003, 10:40 AM   #33
layback
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona 200, Live! And the winner is...

Damm, dude your'e pretty hard with them questions! LOL!
layback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:40 AM   #34
hawkrider
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Races to sell bikes!

Everyone who races does so to sell product! Why is this critisism leveled at Honda only? The fact is Honda has been masterfull at their marketing. Promoting products from the track to the street. Who has done it better?

Honda haters abound, some choose too hate #1 in every catagory. Jeff Gordon, HATED! Why, note because he is a loser but because he came along and kicked your favorite drivers ass.

Honda has more resources and technological horsepower at their fingertips than any other maker. So when they choose to develop a product to dominate a specific catagory, and do so, some cry fowl. Grow up!

Honda has and will always be a factor. I hear thay have been working on a V-3. Sounds good to me!

And BTW, when the inline four is reduced to the history channel, shed no tears it had a great run.
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:41 AM   #35
hawkrider
Founding Member

Everyone who races does so to sell product! Why is this critisism leveled at Honda only? The fact is Honda has been masterfull at their marketing. Promoting products from the track to the street. Who has done it better?

Honda haters abound, some choose too hate #1 in every catagory. Jeff Gordon, HATED! Why, not because he is a loser but because he came along and kicked your favorite drivers ass.

Honda has more resources and technological horsepower at their fingertips than any other maker. So when they choose to develop a product to dominate a specific catagory, and do so, some cry fowl. Grow up!

Honda has and will always be a factor. I hear thay have been working on a V-3. Sounds good to me!

And BTW, when the inline four is reduced to the history channel, shed no tears it had a great run.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:00 AM   #36
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Video Commercial

I searched on the www for a little bit but came up empty-handed. Perhaps this tidbit of news and the commercial are speaking of one and the same, although it is now March 2003, not 2002? Anyone else have anything to say about this? I wish I could watch the commercial again, but I was attempting to cut out all the commercials while I was videotaping the race, and didn't think quick enough to hit the "record" button when I first saw the commercial. Unfortunately they never aired it again either.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:14 AM   #37
saaz
Registered Member

Default Re: Daytona 200, Live!

So much for forcing restrictors on the 4s...obviously the twins don't need any help huh!!!!
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:19 AM   #38
rsheidler
Founding Member

I am not sure if you were responding to my post, but if so, my comments were certainly not intended as a criticism of Honda, but rather to make the point that Honda's reason for moving away from the RC51 for racing was a marketing decision rather than because the V-twin configuration is flawed for racing.

You are absolutely correct that every factory in racing is there to sell bikes. The RC51 is one of the all-time great production-based race bikes and I will hate to see it go, especially while it is still in its prime, but that is the way the maket works. Honda mostly sells inline 4s and I don't blame them for wanting to race them.

There is a certain amount of resentment towards Honda because they 1) are so successful -- many of us like to root for the underdog, and 2) because they are able to throw so much money into their race efforts that they are perceved as squeezing out the smaller players, and the privateers.

Honda have historically chosen to spend the money on factory teams, rather than supporting private teams. Their new progarm of paying contingincies to club racers this year is a new direction for them.

Old 03-10-2003, 11:19 AM   #39
saaz
Registered Member

Default Re: Daytona 200, Live! And the winner is...

I would not get too excited about a handicap race, and whether this means twins are better than 4s etc. I don't notice the twins winning in the Xtreme class.

BTW, I like twins as road bikes as they have many advantages, but I own an old inline 4.
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:33 AM   #40
hawkrider
Founding Member

It sounds like we agree. I just have a problem with blanket generalities spewed by some on this sight, present company excluded.

To say that one bike or another is great and another is a crap pile is silly. I currently own two Hondas and like them just fine.

As far as other makes, let me say this. As consumers we have never been more fortunate. The product on todays market, all makes, all models, are vastly superior to any we have ever had available for purchase.

If they were all the same, if they were all V-Twins or I-Fours etc, BORING! For god sakes if there were no V-twins out there to bash KPaul probably couldn't drag his sorry ass out of bed in the morning. Sorry about that.