Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-10-2003, 09:27 AM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Gobert looked great too

Gobert was really checking out in the beginning. The electrical gremlins got him this time. Oh well, it's wait 'til next year for Ducati.

However, if the Duc looked this good on a fast, high horsepower track, I'm eager to see how gobert does once things get a bit twistier.

Obsolete V twins rule!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2003, 09:44 AM   #22
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: V-Twin revival yeah right? It's still early boys.

Honda's decision not to update the RC51 is a marketing, rather than engineering decision. As they proved today, the twin is certainly capable of putting down power that will compete with any of the 4s, and the traditional VTwin user-friendly powerband is very well suited to tire management as well.

However, Honda doesn't ultimately race to win (although that certainly is important to them) but rather to sell bikes. Honda sportbike twins have never been big market place successes, although many have been highly regarded by enthusiasts. For example, the Hawk 650GT is a real cult classic, and good used ones still sell for about what they listed new, but they never were marketplace successes. The 996 Hawk, and later the RCC51 also did not click with the market.

Honda is as much a prisoner of their own marketing success as are Harley and Ducati. The Honda sportbike image is that of a refined 4 (or more) cylinder (V or inline). They have very successfully marketed that since their 60s racing successes (6 cyl 250s and 5 cyl 125s!) and the CB750. Now, when they try market a Vtwin sportbike, their customer base reacts about like Harleys would if they tried to sell an inline 4 cruiser!

Suzuki has been much more successful in selling their sporting V-Twins for some reason, largely because they have carved out a unique market segment for them, rather than trying to market them as pure sports bikes -- the TL1000 was also a market-place dud.

So far as I know, there is no support for the theory that Ducati will introduce a street V-4 (although they actually DID make one in the past -- intended for the police market). Even if they were to win the MotoGP championship with one, I doubt that the market wants a V4 Ducati.

Aprilia producing a 3 makes more sense because the Aprilia brand is not so strongly identified with the V-twin powerplant.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 09:56 AM   #23
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Now Bob stop it with all that logical, fact-based reasoning. You know ol' KP is about pure myopia and nothing more. Silly Bob, when will you learn.

I'm interested in your thoughts about the speed of the Duc today. Gobert looked really fast until it pulled a Ducati on him.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:15 AM   #24
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: EBoz

OK, I spoke too soon. Tommy Hayden just put the Kwacker 636 at the top of the SuperStock podium! Nice show.

This is a class that the AMA needs to kill (or to do what WSB did, change it to 1000cc) because it is almost totally a Suzuki GSX-R 750 Cup. Only other bikes are a few 600s (and now 636) that move up a class to compete.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:18 AM   #25
KPaulCook
Banned

Excellent Post. I agree with your premise that Honda races to sell bikes. Thus the V-Twin will be discarded as soon as a suitable inline or mult cylinder V comes along.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:19 AM   #26
KPaulCook
Banned

I agree the class is lame
Old 03-10-2003, 10:22 AM   #27
KPaulCook
Banned

Yep but being in the same position I would of made the same decision. i.e. He has won the supersport crown before and he isn't going to race the 600 during the season.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:28 AM   #28
KPaulCook
Banned

Default It's a matter of focus.

Thats a pretty good smack back. I personally think that the EBOZ is the only chance for the inline crowd this year. I think you have to admit that the focus of liter bikes has not been racing until recently. The big four will come out with liter (inline 4s) bikes targeted for racing. The GSXR1000 is not refined now. But given time the next generation will be.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:29 AM   #29
rsheidler
Founding Member

From what I understand, Gobert's crew discovered a problem with the brakes on his bike immediately prior to the start, and they went with their "B" bike instead. In fact, I read that he had to start from pit road because his bike wasn't ready for the start.

The bike is certainly fast enough to win, and Gobert is also, albeit having a rep as being somewhat erratic -- hopefully that is in the past.

I think where Ducati falls down in the AMA is that they do not have the quality team that Honda have. Merlin Plumlee, the crew chief for BBoz (and Nicky last year) has worked with both Honda and Kawasaki at both WSB and AMA for many years and is widely regarded as one of the best in the entire world (he also helped my build my first racebike), and the other Honda teams, as well as the Yoshi Suzuki teams are nearly as professional. These bikes very seldom have any mechanical failures.

The Ducati Austin team is the former Harley Davidson team, and while seemingly pretty good, are just not at the same level. They are also fairly new to running Ducatis, as this is only their second year.

Pegram's Dream Team Racing was pretty impressive for a new team. Be interesting to see how they do as the season progresses.

Bob
Old 03-10-2003, 10:29 AM   #30
mamisano
Founding Member

Default Re: Video Commercial

All I was able to find:

http://www.amasuperbike.com/011004b.htm

Long time Formula Extreme racer Mark Miller just announced via e-mail that he has decided to retire.

Miller's release follows:

2001 Erion Honda rider Mark Miller officially retires from AMA/Pro roadracing.

"I have been the luckiest man on the planet to be able to achieve a boyhood dream of being a full-time, paid professional roadracer for six years. Additionally, I've been fortunate to have worked in a motorcycle racing community with some of the most incredible and interesting people in the world.

In light of the recent WTC disasters, my final race weekend at VIR will be especially memorable to me not only as my final pro race, but because it was our first pro race back since the attacks of Sept.11.

Next stop for my career, at least short-term, is to release a home video production with an insider's look at motorcycle roadracing. Release date is set for March 2002, and it's tentatively titled "Superbike Life".

mamisano is offline   Reply With Quote