Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-07-2003, 07:28 AM   #11
danch
Founding Member

Default Re: Bostrom on the Pole

Yep. After last year, it'll be great to see him running with the front of the pack again.
danch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2003, 08:12 AM   #12
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Barry Sheen Cancer

Dunno if you have ever had to watch anyone with terminal cancer going through chemo, but I have, and I respect his choice.

Obviously, every circumstance is different -- many cancer patients have complete remissions with help from chemo, and even terminal patients may be able to add quality time to their lives. However, in many cases, especially where the cancer is advanced, the treatment is worse than the disease.

Sometimes, you just have to let nature take its course.

Regards

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 10:09 AM   #13
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Its Raining, Its Pouring....

Looks doubtful that much more will happen on track today. Probably yesterday's Superbike qualifying times will have to stand, and the 250GPs will grid based on 2002 points.

Anyway, while everyone is sitting around waiting for something to happen, AMASuperbikes posted a nice writeup on their view of how the top Superbike contestants stack up. CLICK HERE to read the article.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:19 AM   #14
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Barry Sheene Cancer

More on Barry's condition at CRASH.NET.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:35 AM   #15
danch
Founding Member

Default Re: Barry Sheen Cancer

I've seen the process. Really he's right: it _is_ poison. The hope is that the rest of the body will be able to repair itself faster then the tumor. All in all, it's his choice, and I'm sincere in wishing that it works out for the best. I just hope that he isn't thinking that this will improve his chances of survival.

But I'm not in his shoes, let alone his head. It's his decision to make and I'm sure he made it with his eyes open.

-danch
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 10:39 AM   #16
cas4425
Founding Member

Default Re: Bostrom on the Pole

This rain delay sucks! Winter is way long here in Maine and I need something to look forward to. Just bought a RC51 and can't wait to actually ride. I put on 3 miles last Saturday and I think the RC51 is going to be a great replacement for my TLS. Why aren't they running in the rain like at most tracks? Danger of the high banks? Or is it because Daytona is not really designed for motorcycles?
cas4425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 11:20 AM   #17
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Why Not Race in the Rain

I think the answer is all of the above.

The track is very dangerous at best, with far too much concrete to hit.

AMA is not nearly as big on racing in the rain as are the international groups (WSB and GP, eg) -- partly because the US tracks are less safe to start with -- compared to the international tracks, very limited runoff space.

I read an interview with Nicky Hayden, following one of the first tests (I think at Sepang) on the RCV where it rained hard. He stated that this was the first time he had run on rain tires -- in AMA they sometimes used cut clicks if it was damp, but never full rains.

Interesting then that some of the best rain riders in international racing are from the US (eg Colin Edwards and Kenny Roberts Jr.) Of course, these guys have done a lot of dirt riding so they are used to limited traction conditions.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:25 AM   #18
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Todays Racing Cancelled

AMA just announced that todays racing is cancelled -- tried to dry track but ran out of time. Revised race schedule will be released soon -- check at www.ussuperbike.com CLICK HERE
Old 03-07-2003, 12:50 PM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Why Not Race in the Rain

I was at Fontana last year and because of the high banked oval we had to wait forever until the track dried and the racing could start.

Oh well, it's good for beer sales.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote