Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-06-2003, 05:38 PM   #11
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default CR500 + Supermoto

Unfortunately, though easily the most powerful and one of the lightest of all the Supermotos, a well tuned CR-500 still won't hook up and squirt off a dirty corner like a 4-stroke. If it was pure roadracing though they'd all be toast!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2003, 07:40 PM   #12
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Gabe Gets Mentally Motarded

I just bought a Derbi SM50. It's a 50cc supermotard with sticky 17" rubber, Paoli suspension and a smokin' 8hp motor that can just about beat a Honda civic up to 35 mph.

It stoppies near-vertical at 15 mph, weighs 180 pounds, and can make up to 23 hp if you throw a couple of grand at it.

I'm going to do the 18hp kit and go nuts this summer on some of the many go-kart tracks Califorinia is blessed with. Getting slowly drunk while riding an overpriced hog in a slow formation with a pack of overwieght geriatrics is much more fun, I'm sure, but what can you do?

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:32 AM   #13
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: CR500 + Supermoto

That brings up a good question... are 2-strokes even going to be allowed in this new series? The only quote I saw that mentioned motor configuration was in reference to every manufacturer having a 4-stroke in the 450cc range.

That would be a shame b/c even if they're harder to ride, it sure would be cool to see some out there ripping it up! Beyond that, it would help the bucks-down little guy inasmuch as at least he wouldn't have to spend huge $$ to get competitive power (tractability aside).

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 04:22 AM   #14
soloyosh
Founding Member

Default Re: Details on AMA Supermoto Championship

I am glad to see that there is an unlimited class. It would have been really short-sighted of the AMA to exclude this class, especially due to the fact that the World Championship is an unlimited format. Maybe this unlimited component will spur the Japanese to update their big-bore singles. Or... I haven't seen the AMA rules, but I think that the ACU in europe allows ANYTHING up to 1000ccs (I think there is some guy running a Triumph Tiger in the UK). SV650 Supermoto anyone?
Old 03-07-2003, 07:16 AM   #15
banda
Founding Member

A guy brought a SV650 with moto-x bars to our supermoto races. he went out for two practice laps before he gave up.

Open class dirtbikes with street tires just plain kick the snot out of sportbikes when the going gets really twisty.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 07:19 AM   #16
banda
Founding Member

Default AMA not leaders

Leading the way? Hardly! There have been regional supermoto series in the states for a few years now. AMA Pro racing didn't consult with any of them.

Check out superbikers2.com a national supermoto championship with rounds near you.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 07:41 AM   #17
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA not leaders

I agree about AMA not being leaders in promoting supermoto, but in fairness, Hadji didn't say they were -- he said "kudos to KTM/Red Bull"

AMA not consulting local/regional groups is, unfortunately, typical of what AMA pro racing does in other venues.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 07:52 AM   #18
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Gabe Gets Mentally Motarded

Now that sound like fun. I assume that the 18 hp kit is includes a larger bore cylinder (probably 80cc?).

Does this thing have a luggage rack so you can bungie on the brain tank?

Bob
Old 03-07-2003, 07:54 AM   #19
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Baaaaarf!

jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 07:55 AM   #20
rsheidler
Founding Member

Hmmmmmm........

Maybe build one around that new KTM V-Twin?