Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-03-2003, 11:44 AM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Pass the Grey Poupon there bro

I agree. There is much more technology in NASCAR than those who dislike it think. Plus there is some awesome driving talent. Guys like Stewart and Gordon would be successful no matter where they raced.

I think there is also a bias against anyone with a southern accent who uses home-spun phrases must immediately be classified as stupid.

Are you considering a Harley so you can fit in with the neighbors?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2003, 11:47 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I was just kidding but I figured as long as he was flinging around insults I could too. Actually the Z-4 looks pretty good in the flesh. I've seen a few cruising around here already.

Does your daughter ask you to borrow the Miata a lot?
Old 03-03-2003, 12:20 PM   #23
rsheidler
Founding Member

Hell, even on this site, which presumably is mostly frequented by those with at least a passing interest in motorcycles, there is a lot less apparent interest in racing topics than general interest subjects. I'm not complaining, it is just an observation. As an example, today's article on the WSB had fewer than 1/2 as many posts as the article on the Volvo ad.

I'm gonna venture that more than half of the readers on this site did not watch the WSB and will not watch the 200 next weekend. So how in Hell can we expect the general public to watch in sufficient number to support a stand-alone non-NASCAR channel?

Thank God for NASCAR!

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:36 PM   #24
rsheidler
Founding Member

Actually my daughter has never driven the Miata. My wife mostly controls the keys, and she is more immune to batting eyelids than I am! I got the Miata sorta as a peace offering after my wife realized how much money I had spent on the Ducati, only to turn it into a monoposto!

That is where the Dyna Sport comes in -- with our daughter now pretty well grown, my wife once again is interested in spending more time on the pillion. I am also thinking about an R1150R or possibly one of the new naked Japanese bikes. Having formed my motorcycle preferences in the 50s and 60s, I prefer no fairings and the sound and feel of singles, parallel or V-twins. The boxer twin is a little flatulent-sounding for my tastes, but it is a nice ride.

I need to find a Harley dealer who has a Dyna Sport I can demo. Don't know how likely that is. I have demo'd Buells several times, but don't know how they are about offering rides on Harleys.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 01:24 PM   #25
cyclesteve
Registered Member

Default E mail speedchannel

Instead of arguing among yourselves, why not e mail Speedchannel and request more cycle racing. As we know they are motivated by the almighty dollar. If enough interest is show maybe we will get more cycle racing. Their web site is speedtv.com
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 01:53 PM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I agree the boxer twin is a little too flatulent for me too. Plus there's not much you can do if you want it to make more power compared to the H-D hopups available.

I'll bet since the Dyna Sport is not a big seller you should be able to demo one if any dealers have one on the sales floor.

I was teasing about the daughter/Miata since you asked if it was a girl's car.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:58 PM   #27
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Well, I'm not in the TV biz, so I don't know about that stuff. But I do get Speed on "Digital Cable", so I'm quite sure my cable company knows what channel I'm tuned to. I've gotta believe they're selling that info to _somebody_.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:05 PM   #28
Buzglyd
Founding Member

They might do that for their own purposes in terms of deciding what channels get viewers since the cable stations sell local spots as well.

But for Nielson ratings you'd have to have a box or a diary.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:07 PM   #29
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Racing Reminder

Lessee, now. Apply the France formula to AMA road racing, and what do we get? All the bikes would be Harleys, or at least _some_ kind of pushrod V-twin. Though they'd have bodywork that made them look a little like something else, and would be labeled as such. And they'd have really big fairings, all with the same shape, to allow lots of room for sponsor logos.

I dunno, maybe it would make for good racing. But it'd be a lot less interesting than what we've got now. And many of the classes now are so competitive that most forms of auto racing can't even come close.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 06:02 PM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Racing Reminder

I agree. For road racing motorcycles are superior. There is actually on-track passing!

Formula 1 and CART have become long,boring technology parades. I've been going to the Long Beach Grand Prix for several years and haven't seen a pass for position in a long time. CART Laguna Seca last year was the same thing. Qualifying was pretty much the order of finish.