Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 02-04-2003, 04:39 AM   #1
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: Is The V-Twin Falling From Favor?

OH... MY... GOD!

Now Motorcycle Online is deep linking to Motorcycle Daily content.

That just takes the cake. I feel like the world's biggest sucker for renewing my subscription.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2003, 04:46 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Well, go leave your post with them! Oh, that's right, you can't! LOL
Old 02-04-2003, 05:32 AM   #3
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

it was good while it lasted.

As the proud owner of a '02 RC51, I do have some sad feeling over the 'future' demise of the V Twin in roadracing.

It mirrors my street fights with the inline 4's. I get them in the turns and they get me in the straights..

It's just as well though, change is good.

I'll just keep hoping that Honda releases a road version of the RCV 211.

As for WSBK

I don't think that the series will last very long losing some popular drivers to MOTOGP.

allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 05:50 AM   #4
jmeyn
Founding Member

This article makes no more sense then the focusless speculation (v-twin vs. other) that regularly fills MOland.

To begin with, let's seperate the "v" from the "twin". The V configuration fits a given number of cylinders into a narrower engine among other advantages but at the expense of airflow plumbing simplicity.

Increasing the number of cylinders increases the potential power for a given displacement simply because each cylinder is smaller; more precisely, the stroke is shorter and the valves weigh less. This allows higher RPM and lower piston speed for the same torque which means higher horsepower. But it costs more.

Look at the price/performance of the SV-1000 compared to inline-4 and v-4 competitors. The V-twin will be around for a long time, folk.

jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 06:06 AM   #5
ted38
Founding Member

Perhaps in road racing, but on the street? For me the point of riding a road bike fast is doing it with smoothness and safety. This means a V Twin (or a boxer for that matter). Smooth lines come from smooth power bands and lots of midrange grunt to pull through long sweepers while you're hanging off the bike. For this, in-line 4's just don't deliver like a twin.

Sure in-line 4's are fast in the straights but who cares? On the street I am not racing anyone- I'm thinking about how well I'm connecting with the bike, my line, and how smoothly I am putting it all together. Again if I were worrying about weather or not I had selected the right gear or weather or not I was going to DOUBLE my horse power over the next 1000 rpm's (possibly leading to a crash) I would not be enjoying my ride in the mountains and canyons and would only be able to have fun "punching it down the straight away" (to me not that much fun, certainly not as much fun as I am having on my twins, and even worse for loosing my license).

Handling aside, V's allow a more narrow bike combined with a favorable center of gravity translating into a more responsive machine. Perfect for what I like to do when risking my license and life on the street. If my 999 is not fast enough down short straights where I routinely hit 120+mph before leaning into the next corner, I'll pick another sport. If Johnny Law clocks me at triple digit speeds this game is over for me and triple digits is the only place where an in-line 4 has anything on my Duck, or Boxer Cup for that matter. I love my 999's razor sharp handling, quick transitions through the S's, and immediate response to even the most minute inputs- incredibly visceral while committed to the long sweepers, and tight transitions of my local mountain roads.

Viva the twin, the king of road going power!
ted38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 06:10 AM   #6
ted38
Founding Member

Perhaps in road racing, but on the street? For me the point of riding a road bike fast is doing it with smoothness and safety. This means a V Twin (or a boxer for that matter). Smooth lines come from smooth power bands and lots of midrange grunt to pull through long sweepers while you're hanging off the bike. For this, in-line 4's just don't deliver like a twin.

Sure in-line 4's are fast in the straights but who cares? On the street I am not racing anyone- I'm thinking about how well I'm connecting with the bike, my line, and how smoothly I am putting it all together. Again if I were worrying about whether or not I had selected the right gear or whether or not I was going to DOUBLE my horse power over the next 1000 rpm's (possibly leading to a crash) I would not be enjoying my ride in the mountains and canyons and would only be able to have fun "punching it down the straight away" (to me not that much fun, certainly not as much fun as I am having on my twins, and even worse for loosing my license).

Handling aside, V's allow a more narrow bike combined with a favorable center of gravity translating into a more responsive machine. Perfect for what I like to do when risking my license and life on the street. If my 999 is not fast enough down short straights where I routinely hit 120+mph before leaning into the next corner, I'll pick another sport. If Johnny Law clocks me at triple digit speeds this game is over for me and triple digits is the only place where an in-line 4 has anything on my Duck, or Boxer Cup for that matter. I love my 999's razor sharp handling, quick transitions through the S's, and immediate response to even the most minute inputs- incredibly visceral while committed to the long sweepers, and tight transitions of my local mountain roads.

Viva the twin, the king of road going power!

ted38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 06:11 AM   #7
FrankS1
Founding Member

(1) How many free plugs for Marsee Products accessories do you have to carry in exchange for posting the link?

(2) There is more to the world than hard core racing machines. While the MD article makes some interesting points, I can't see all the clonemakers giving up immediately, especially not the Big 4 wannabes. And it wouldn't seem to be TOO wise to go short on Harley Davidson stock, either.

(3) But in the narrow context of racing, never mind what anybody with an ounce of brains would buy at the dealer, it's likely that the rules for tradeoff of weight vs. number of cylinders vs. displacement vs. things we haven't thought of yet will need a bit of fine tuning. The AMA version of superbike seemed to have things balanced a bit better (where did Suzuki come from??) than WSB, where the twins had a bit too much "extra".

(3) No matter what clever ideas the Italians and Kenny Roberts dream up, Honda will adapt the ideas with an improved version and be winning in a year or two. The manufacturer with the most money will win in the end. (Unless, that is, Honda gets the same kind of stubborn fixation they had on the V-4 for a while, but I doubt that they are so embarassed to be seen copying after that experience.)

FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 06:21 AM   #8
chriss_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Longride, are you serious?

Why is the crap about paying for the subscription posted below this link??? Seriously, was this a joke?

Does motorcycle daily know that MO is charging to view their free articles?
chriss_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 06:27 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Longride, are you serious?

I thought it was a topic to discuss, considering there was just a V-Twin test done. We link to many articles around the internet. You have a problem with that? Also, anyone can read the news articles. They can't comment. So, in the future, if you need to comment, get your facts straight and then talk. Paying people get to read the tests and comment on any thread, which is what I said above.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:28 AM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Where were you when we were trying to explain all this stuff to KPaul a couple of months ago?

00 Ducati ST4

03 H-D Electra Glide

When I park 'em side by side it's kinda like a V-4!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote