Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 02-03-2003, 03:51 AM   #1
sanchin
Registered Member

Default Re: AMA Superbike Rules 2004

I'm glad they're going to end the handicapping of multi-cylinder bikes, but since the AMA abandoned the Loudon Classic, I will not support them.

sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2003, 03:54 AM   #2
vfrmojo
Founding Member

Making this rule would insure that all competitive bikes would have four cylinders, unless there was a weight advantage for the twins and threes.
vfrmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:01 AM   #3
VFRider
Registered Member

The AMA abondoned Loudon for one simply reason, safety.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:28 AM   #4
Oren_Laskin
Founding Member

The only company who wouldn't be pleased by this is Ducati who have a pretty small AMA racing presence.

Honda runs the CBR954RR in Japan Superbike now.

Kawasaki probably intends to come out with a new ZX-10R in 2004 so the timing is good for them.

Yamaha and Suzuki are obvious what they run.

Maybe Ducati will produce a homologated V4 engine like their motogp bike to race in other series.
Oren_Laskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:29 AM   #5
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Twins, Triples, Fours, Fives and Sixes could all be competative under this formula. The current 998 / 999 Ducatis and VTR/RC-51 Honda twins are faster than all of the four cylinder bikes, in Superbike trim. peak HP by itself isn't going to win you any Superbike races. I'm guessing there will be a "Sweet" spot for each configuration and the manufacturer who finds it the quickest, will be running at the front.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:26 AM   #6
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Hmmm. Sounds like Honda is pressuring the AMA to allow them to run the V-5 in '04, if they make a production version.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:47 AM   #7
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent

The AMA must of read my memo. This is everthing I could of dreame of. Let the competiton begin.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:22 AM   #8
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Forced to agree

A nice simple formula. Set the displacement limits and let the chips fall where they may. Even better would be just plain up to 1000 cc instead of 901-1000 cc. If the 750s can compete, let them.

Power to ground delivery will be the key for the big guys.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:10 AM   #9
sanchin
Registered Member

I watched the Formula USA racers navigate the track in the rain at last year's Bikeweek without any major crashes or injuries. I'll agree that Loudon is not as safe as many of the newer tracks, especially the ones not shared by Nascar. I wish NHIS owner Bob Bahre would make some recommended changes for rider safety, but with all of its problems, Loudon still safely hosts lots of racing. Penguin racing school is always packed and the Loudon Road Racing Series

produces some great races.
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:22 AM   #10
nathan_1
Founding Member

Any one else see read in 'motorcyclist' where that guy put a Busa motor into a GSX1000? One main problem was that since the motor was so wide maximum lean angle was small and therefore corning speeds were slower. If you limit everyone to 1000 cc's you are favoring multicylinder engines due to metal fatigue limits, but if you remove all displacement limits and minimum weight limits then and only then will you not be favoring any particular design. Fact a 1300cc twin will lap faster than 1300cc inline four due to higher corning speeds. The best way to establish parity with current technology is by limiting tire contact patch size.