Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 02-03-2003, 08:26 AM   #11
john
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Superbike Rules 2004

not really, the Vtwin superbikes still lap faster then the FX bikes. Horsepower rarely wins races....

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2003, 08:33 AM   #12
john
Founding Member

its not F1, you cant limit contact size on a bike in any meanangful way. it is already at a compromise between contact patch size, and curvature, so the biek will actually turn. True that in F1 parity is reached partially through tires, but that simply keeps EVERYONE's overall speeds down.

if you are suggesting to reach parity through different sized tires, that seems kinda ridiculous. What, does a 1500cc V twin have to wear a 120 rear or what??

and also, your assumptions about lap times and engine configurations are situational, at best. Ok, less ground clearance for the inline, right? Tell that to Rad Greeves who is making a busa FX bike again. TO counter the width you can raise the motor in the chassis, and also raise the chassis itself, hence things like rear ride height adjusters. voila, instant lean angle.

But in reality, that isnt even neccessary. you see the guy who put the busa motor in the GSXR-1000 frame was doing a hack job, not a real racing effort. people also put the busa motor in a GSXR-600. But this surely limits their ability to ideally locate the engine within the chassis.

Old 02-03-2003, 12:16 PM   #13
squidhunter
Founding Member

R.I.P. GSX-R 750, I'll miss you.
squidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:33 PM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Any news about the full dresser class? I just finished taping up the headlights on my new E-Glide and I'm ready to shred some fiberglass!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:46 PM   #15
yellowduc
Founding Member

Hello,

Isn't diversity what makes motorcycles great? If the rules favor a single type of design, the bikes and the racing will resemble NASCAR (all the cars look and sound very similar). Motorcyclists are very diversified, such an approach would be alienating to the fans. Visit the parking lots of any AMA Superbike event and you'll see the evidence. I've seen many different configurations, in particular twins such as the Aprilias, BMWs , Ducatis, Hondas, Harleys, Moto Guzzis, and Yamahas. The twin configuration has to be included. This configuration is too well represented within the sportbike and cruiser segments. It may be the configuration that outlasts all the others.

Thank,

YellowDuc
yellowduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:09 PM   #16
jmeyn
Founding Member

The twin configuration has to be included. This configuration is too well represented within the sportbike and cruiser segments. It may be the configuration that outlasts all the others.

Yes, and there's nothing in the rules to keep them from competing. Several posts above point out that they are currently more than competetive racing in the litre-bike classes.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:36 PM   #17
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Sounds cool.

Y'know, you're right. Why make the lower limit 901? It seems odd, espically considering the ZX-7R can only be bored out to 800, and the ZX-9R will have to be bored out to 900+ to make the regs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't current displacement of the ZX-9R only 899cc's?

I hope to watch Kawasaki compete. I have a dream sportbike, and that is a ZX-9R bored out with the Muzzy kit and roughly 15 to 20kg lighter (30 to 40lbs). That would rock. Does anyone know if you can bolt on a singe seat subframe off of a ZX-7R? Help keep my dream alive!

--The Fox, TMinus 7 days

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:47 PM   #18
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Elecra Glide Challenge!

Seriously, this would actually make a highly entertaining series. My questions are about saftey, primarily concerning parts breakage (fairing and bags would splinter if they crashed, right?). And what kind of mods would you allow? I mean, you got to let those big twins breathe!

Prize could be displacement in CI in cash for a win, with 1/2 that for 2nd, 1/2 of that for 3rd, etc down to about 8th place. Prize for the series could be a big, pimped out Ultra Classic in two tone purple and silver paint with a ****load of chrome and gold mag wheels! Hellz yeah!

Air filter, intake, carb, exhaust, and seat. Fork springs, oil, and brace; replace rear shocks. Removal of top box, but not saddlebags. Tape headlight, remove turn signals, rear light stays. Rearsets? No windshield, for saftey? I don't think much else should be allowed; let's keep this inexpensive.

I would seriously be entertained by this, be real fun to watch and cheap to get into too (as far as racing goes) But how do you get all those Harley dudes to wear leathers and helmets? Bah dum chhhh...

Comments welcome. Maybe would could send this idea to Harley...they did it in Europe with the 883 Sportster challenge.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:39 PM   #19
eserrato
Founding Member

Why wait until 2004? The '04 proposed rules should have been proposed last year for the 2003 season. The only excitement this year with AMA Superbike is going to be watching the Bostrom Boyz battling it out.
eserrato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:42 PM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Elecra Glide Challenge!

There's a local race track here that does train races (three cars attached end to end racing against other trains) and boat trailer races! (cars pulling boats on trailers). It is always the last event and makes a huge mess on the 3/8 mile oval.

It's a red-neckin' good time at the Cajon Speedway in San Diego.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote