Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 01-22-2003, 07:52 AM   #1
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

Default Re: Testing Times At Laguna Seca

first post!

What happened to Ben?.. Come on dude! I have a '51, give it a little twist of the wrist. You must help me brag about my model.

Seriously though, this series is gonna be the second most watched, after MotoGP. I can't wait to see how it sorts out.
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2003, 08:10 AM   #2
hawkrider
Founding Member

Wait a minute, 3 of the 4 best lap times were V-Twins? This must be a misprint, I was told the V-Twin was dead as a racing platform.
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:47 AM   #3
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Now now, let's not encourage KPaul. You know he's going to crawl up to his soap box and tout "unfair displacement advantage".
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 10:23 AM   #4
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

The displacement advantage has been eliminated, but yet the 1000s are being hamstringed with bogus restrictor plates a'la NASCAR. If twins are SO good (maybe they are, what do I know) then why must other engine types be automatically restricted and placed at a disadvantage under the rules? Let go of the reins and let the fur fly, then we'll see what really is better. If I recall correctly, Rossi doesn't ride a V-twin......
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:14 AM   #5
kman45
Founding Member

Default Of course there are no more 4 cylinders, duh

Uhmmm, the only team testing with a 4 cylinder would be Kawasaki, and they only have one rider, and he's .09 second off fastest time, so I'd say he's doing pretty damn good. Of course there will be at least three more 4-cylinder bikes in the mix with Suzuki and if No Limit Honda shows up in SBK. Twins aren't dead yet, but pretty damn close. Wait til next year to see it really flesh out, then wait another couple of year and they'll probably do something else to get Ducati, Aprillia, Harley to join the fray again.
kman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:35 AM   #6
ckirk
Registered Member

A quote from Anthony yesterday - "ItÂ’s going to be really, really hard to beat Ben Bostrom. Watching him go around, he looks really, really good and he looks like heÂ’s taking it easy at the moment. At the moment thereÂ’s a lot of guys that could surprise. MatÂ’s [Mladin] always really quick. [Aaron] Yates is always quick here and there. ItÂ’s going to be a really tough year. ItÂ’s going to be really hard to get a championship. ItÂ’s going to be good for everyone watching, itÂ’s not going to be good for us riders."
ckirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 12:12 PM   #7
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Of course there are no more 4 cylinders, duh

Both Honda and Suzuki are campaigning 1000's this year. It doesn't look like Suzuki was at this test ( or maybe just not on this list), but you can see Honda is at #11. Three seconds off the pace is a lot, but considering the lack of development timing, it's not too bad.

I do think that either this year or next year will be the last year that twins dominate the series. They will probably win some races after that, but not like they are now.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:15 PM   #8
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Not so fast.

The restrictor plates are only in the WSB; in AMA they are allowed only limited modifications to the stock, showroom style, bike (granted race prepared, polish, balance etc.)

nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 03:43 PM   #9
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Just a minute. Look at day 2

Yep Right. I don't the Suzuki 1000s are there. Also we have a Kawaski 800cc ZX-7R right up there.

See Day 2 here where the ZX-7R is the fastest <a href="http://www.mcnews.com.au/MotorcycleRacing2003/AmericanSuperBike/Test_Laguna/Day2_Times.htm"> Day 2 testing results

Note the 954 is up there as well.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 03:45 PM   #10
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Day 2 times Revenge of the Inline 4

Day 2 times click here
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote