Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 01-21-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA ANNOUNCES U.S. SUPERMOTO CHAMPIONSHIP!

P.S. did I mention that i'm excited about this?

pps... as Goggles Paisano noted: I'm Rentally Motarded.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2003, 11:18 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Nice to see Russell coming back after that nasty Daytona hit he took. Looks like a fun series to watch. I'm sure I can make a few races, as I am a dirt track fan. I'm excited, but not as much as Sean. I figure I will be able to sleep laying on my stomach tonite. Not sure about him though.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:23 PM   #3
Grover
Founding Member

Okay, I think I've put together the puzzle here. I read earlier today on amasuperbike.com that Mitch Hanson would "definately" be working with Scott Russell in a "profesionally sanctioned" race series that probably wasn't going to be superbike...

What most people probably don't know is that CorseSuperbikes, previous location of the HMC ducati team that campaigned quite unsuccessfully in AMA, recently became a KTM dealer...

So, I am predicting with a pretty fair amount of confidence that we're going to be seeing Scott Russell riding KTM's in this series... How sweet is that. Whether they get factory KTM support however remains to be seen.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:50 PM   #4
Fugaziiv
Founding Member

I'll second that excitment.
Fugaziiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 02:28 PM   #5
GogglesPaisano
Founding Member

How about that! A shout-out from SuperTitty!

Now if only I could find a place nearby that was hosting Supermoto, parking-lot motard, or similar fun stuff...

In the meantime I'll keep staring at my bike in the garage, cursing the salt-trucks, the snow, and the leaky mikunis I still need to rebuild.

-=Goggles=-
GogglesPaisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 05:45 AM   #6
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Supermoto Championship!

Don't get your hopes up too high. As with other motorcycle competitions, the AMA is set to ruin something good.

Rumors indicate that there will be a 505cc limit on machines eligible for AMA Supermoto. This blows. If it's true, it's a concession to Japanese manufacturers who, to date, have invested precisely NOTHING in the growing sport of supermoto. So the very best amateurs out there today, Carl Blake of Washington, Don Canet of California... their large bore European supermoto bikes won't be allowed. Complete crap. (If the rumors prove true)

It kills me that small bike companies like Husqvarna, Husaberg, VOR, KTM and others who have attempted to build a supermotard following in the USA are going to be shut out of the AMA series in favor of who? Honda? Last year a Honda rep actually snickered at me when I asked if Honda might offer a supermotard model or accessories in the US. Do they deserve to benefit from the growing popularity of supermotard in the states? Hell no. But AMA pro racing doesn't give a crap about racers or fans. They care about the manufacturers with the deep pockets.

Also, the AMA hasn't made any contact with any of the grassroots supermoto race series, so lord only knows what the rules will be. Hardworking enthusiasts have invested their time and their own money to make supermoto a reality in the US without any help from the AMA. Now AMA pro racing, having heard the buzz, is set to blow the grassroots orgs out of the water, siphoning off all the sponsorships in order to promote what will likely be a set of invitation only parking lot races.

This announcement doesn't sound like good news for anyone but the big 4 and the AMA.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 10:32 AM   #7
rsheidler
Founding Member

Hey, it looks like Dean Adams at AMAsuperbikes.com must have read your post -- his article today is almost plagirized.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 10:36 AM   #8
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Supermoto Championship!

Gawdam, I hope you are just being paranoid! Unfortunately, that sounds in charactor for AMAProracing.

Bob

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:33 PM   #9
Grover
Founding Member

I just saw that too, bastard...

I'm emailing him right now.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:47 PM   #10
Grover
Founding Member

damnit! So maybe I can't email him... If anyone knows his address, hook a brother up.

The least he could have done was given me some props, assuming of course he really did read my post. Hell, I even mentioned that I used information from his website, who's name shall no longer be spoken here, to draw my conclusion. Where's the reciprocation? It's like that line in Full Metal Jacket... where's my reach-around?