Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 01-24-2003, 06:04 AM   #11
soloyosh
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Supermoto Championship!

I read that the engine formula would conform to the MX 250/450 format. In any case my XR650R and KTM would be illegal. I dropped my AMA membership a long time ago because of some idiotic stances they took on key issues. Doens't seem like their racing arm is any more insightful.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2003, 11:57 AM   #12
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

They should have an Open Class (no displacement limit) and a Lightweight Class (250cc max) Anything else is either illogical, or influenced by outside $$
Old 01-26-2003, 07:55 AM   #13
banda
Founding Member

I got word directly from AMA Pro Racing, only one class, 450cc limit. It was the only way to get the contingency money and factory sponsorship needed to make a national series pay for itself, attract top riders.

It ain't about the sport... it's about the money.

AMA pro racing claims that FIM S1 is considering the same limit to bring in more participation from manufacturers other than KTM and Husqvarna.

Makes me feel kinda silly for buying a Husky 570.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:43 AM   #14
soloyosh
Founding Member

It seems to me that it "should" be the other way around. If they (big 4) want to race, make your bike competative or come up with a new bike! Honda has the XR650R (needs work but the foundation is there), Suzuki (c'mon its time to replace the DR650 anyway), Kawasaki (should work with Suzuki on a DR/KLR replacement), and Yamaha (YZF500F anyone) could easily step up to compete. In the mean time they can just hire the best riders and put the on the current 450cc machinery. This seems to have worked for them so far in the Premier class in SuperTT. Everytime a factory guy, with a factory bike showed up it turned Premier into 2 classes anyways just tlike Superbike is... Factory teams, then everyone else. I think brands like Honda, Suzuki, Kawi, and Yamaha need to get their heads handed to them once in a while, just to remind them that they aren't the only game in town. With AMA's decision, they are efficively making them the only game in town.

Oh well there's always CCS Supersingles class...