Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 12-12-2002, 01:05 PM   #1
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Final Combined Wed/Thu Superbike and 600 Laptimes from Daytona Tire Testing

From what was posted on another site, Roberts' and Gobert's 600 times involved bypassing the chicane, and that DiSalvo's 1.53.031 was actually the fastest.

Either way, these times are amazingly close to those of the Superbikes!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2002, 01:15 PM   #2
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Final Combined Wed/Thu Superbike and 600 Laptimes from Daytona Tire Testing

Another site lists Gobert at 1:51.998 but says

"Note: Aaron Gobert said that he straight-lined the chicane on his fastest 600cc lap, and that his actual best lap was a 1:53.00. There is no telling from the raw transponder data who did or did not cut the course on any given lap."

As I understand, there were no spotters to officially determine which lap times from the transponders are actually valid.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:16 PM   #3
drthompson65
Founding Member

looks like the 750's are that far back.
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 05:30 AM   #4
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Aaron's admission that he cut the chicane on that lap, is why he is listed at a 1:53.0 I didn't hear anything about Roberts admitting same, that is why his 1:52.5 stands as the fastest on my listing.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:53 AM   #5
rsheidler
Founding Member

You may be right about Robert's time -- amasuperbike.com had reported that several riders had jumped the chicane, and implied that they ASSUMED Roberts was one of those because his time was suspect.

Of course, given my personal feelings towards Roberts, I didn't have much trouble believing that he would have jumped the chicane without owning up to that as did Gobert. That is just my personal bias showing through.

Cheers

Bob
Old 12-13-2002, 06:56 AM   #6
KPaulCook
Banned

Default The death of the V-Twin continues

Looks like the inline 4 1000cc bikes are doing well for their first time out. Go inline 4s. Just think how much faster the 4 s will be after some more track time.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 07:00 AM   #7
rsheidler
Founding Member

Given that the Thursday session was very short, before once again being rained out, I am not sure that we can reach any conclusions about the 750s vs 1000s -- note that on Wed, EBoz was well ahead of Mladin, Yates and Co.

My guess is that, relatively speaking, Daytona is a bit more favorable to the 1000s than most other tracks, with so much of the track being WFO.

Right now, it looks like we have 3 distinct configurations that are right in the thick of things -- V-twins, Inline 750s bored to 800 and 1000s with more limited mods. Each will have different strengths and weaknesses.

Looks like it could be one Hell of a season (and I was one of the big skeptics about the AMA rule change).

Bob
Old 12-13-2002, 07:38 AM   #8
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: The death of the V-Twin continues

Hi KPaul

The times for the 1000 Suzukis are really impressive, especially considering how recently the AMA finalized the 2003 rules. I don't know who is responsible for this development -- the factory engineers or Yoshimura (I suspect the latter). I am sure that they were able to draw somewhat from the Formula Xtreme bikes, but the allowed mods are more restrictive so there is still a lot of new work that had to be done.

That said, this is probably the track where the 1000s could be expected to have the best chance. More than any other AMA track, it is a horsepower track. My guess is that, even with fairly restrictive modification rules for the 1000s, they should be able to match, or beat, the more radicaly modified bored out 750s in power. The liability is in turning.

Fundamentally, one of the advantages of the V-twin (and to a lesser extent, V4) configuration is better mass centralization -- especially of the reciprocating mass. For the 750 superbikes, this is mimimized because extensive lightning of crankshafts, rods etc are allowed. For the 1000s, not only is the crank a bit longer, but no lightning is allowed. That long, heavy spinning crank will strongly resist rapid change in direction -- especially important in quick left-right transitions. This, more so than other rules limitations, is what handicaps the 1000s under the current AMA rules.

That is one area in which the WSB rules (if and when they ever finalize them!) could be a bit more favorable to the 1000s. It looks like they will be allowed more internal mods, similar to on the 750s, but using NASCAR-style restrictor plated to limit the power output.

As to the alleged "death of the V-twin" -- did you take note of where Gobert placed the 998? Ducati have never done well at Daytona, and I won't bet on them to win this year either (although that's who I will be cheering for), but it certainly appears that they are serious about contending for the championship.

Bring on the racing!

Cheers,

Bob

Old 12-13-2002, 09:24 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: The death of the V-Twin continues

Daytona is a high speed, high horsepower track. It's a bit unique compared to the rest of the race schedule. Sooner or later they are going to have to turn you know.

I'll be rooting for Gobert on the overrated, overhyped, overmarketed Ducati. I'm sure you noticed his lap times were with the frontrunners.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 09:26 AM   #10
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent Post

Thanks you make some good points stuff I didn't know about
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote