Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 12-12-2002, 04:04 AM   #1
crazybike_37
Founding Member

Default Re: Wednesday Superbike and 600 Laptimes from Dunlop Daytona Tire Testing

Why the heck is a ZX-7 in the #2 spot on the superbike times? Did they really have to stuff up the gixxers that much?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2002, 05:13 AM   #2
mconlon
Founding Member

Default Re: Wednesday Superbike and 600 Laptimes from Dunlop Daytona Tire Testing

Wow, Haydens, Bostroms, and Goberts make up the large majority of the roster. A family that races together...?

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 06:18 AM   #3
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Because that ZX-7 is an 800cc Factory Superbike, and the GSX-Rs are running to much stricter rules and much closer to stock.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:29 AM   #4
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Is it in their genes or environment

If you include multi-generational not just sibling relationships, you have Rossis, Roberts, and on 4 wheels, Andrettis, Unsers, Pettys, Earnharts and a bunch more, if I stop to think about it -- I am pretty sure that several of the 125 and 250 GP stars are 2nd generation racers as well.

I know that both the Haydons and Bostroms come from flattacker parents -- I believe that both Hayden parents were racers -- I heard that they met at a race, where she kicked his ass. Hard to beat that kinda genes!

You may notice that most of the top new racers started at an extremely young age (some as young as 3-4!!) and that is a lot more likely if the parents are racers. Of course, I am sure some natural talent gets passed too.

That is the excuse I use for being so slow on the track
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 06:32 AM   #5
rsheidler
Founding Member

Not to mention that the 1000s are very early in the development process as the AMA only finalized the 2003 rules a few weeks ago. They will be a lot closer come the start of the season.

My money still is on the main battle being between BBoz and EBoz though.

Bob
Old 12-12-2002, 07:11 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

A brief description of the new rules is in the latest issue of the AMA's mag.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:36 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I wouldn't rule out Gobert though. When he's healthy and has his head on straight he is extremely fast. He was hurt most of the season last year.

He did win at California Speedway on the R7.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:50 AM   #8
rsheidler
Founding Member

I agree -- especially with a more serious effort from Ducati than in recent years. Go-Show is one of my personal favorites, especially when he is on a Duc. His times at Daytona are right in there.