Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

View Poll Results: Scooters Make You...
Want to Laugh 28 4.84%
Want to Hide 3 0.52%
Want to Ride in the closet 4 0.69%
Want to Play Mini Hooligan 37 6.39%
Want to get a Library Card 9 1.55%
Want to be a Naked lady with things that go Brrr. 15 2.59%
446 77.03%
37 6.39%
Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2002, 06:44 AM   #11
DucButt
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda does it again with innovation (original thinking) and style.

Funny how you laud the 600RR for it's "innovation", but mock the Buell XB9. KPaul, try a little less wasabi with your ika next time...
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2002, 06:53 AM   #12
KPaulCook
Banned

[*]Completely new die cast aluminum frame utilizes new manufacturing methods to provide optimum rigidity while reducing weight.

[*]New Unit Pro-Link rear suspension system is patterned after RC211V GP racer. In this system, the upper shock mount is contained within the swingarm rather than the frame. With no top frame-mount for the shock, this unique system eliminates negative suspension energy from being transmitted into the frame, allowing optimum frame rigidity and improved rideability out of corners. Rear swingarm technology derived from RC211V Moto GP racer.

[*]All new liquid-cooled DOHC 16-valve 599cc four-stroke inline four-cylinder engine features oversquare bore and stroke of 67mm x 42.5mm.

[*]New engine is more compact-engine length is now 236mm vs. 266mm-which helps move the rider forward 70mm.
[*]Dual Stage Fuel Injection (DSFI) system features two injectors per cylinder-one upper and one lower-controlled by an ECU that senses rpm and throttle opening. Lower injector enhances rideability while upper injector improves top-end horsepower. At lower rpm only the lower injector is working. Above 5500 rpm both injectors are activated. The system uses 40mm throttle bodies.

[*]New Denso injectors with 12 laser-drilled holes deliver a finely atomized fuel mixture for optimum combustion efficiency and power.

[*]Two-stage ram-air system provides a high volume of cool air to the airbox for linear power delivery and incredible engine performance.

[*]Cylinder head features angled valve inset to improve air flow.

[*]Cylinder head features two springs per intake valve and two springs per exhaust valve for optimum high-rpm valve operation and durability.

[*]Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation ensures high-rpm performance and durability and offers 16,000-mile maintenance intervals.

[*]New lighter pistons, piston pins and nutless connecting rods contribute to higher revving engine.

[*]New double-pivot cam-chain tensioner improves cam chain durability.

[*]Starter gears moved to the right side for increased lean angle.

[*]New lightweight aluminum oil cooler.

[*]New Line Beam Headlight features three- piece reflector design (first in the world) utilizing two H7 bulbs for optimum light distribution, and unique compact design.

Industry-leading ergonomic design features maximum rider comfort for minimum fatigue in all riding conditions.

Now guys tell which American bike has all this? Or Italian bike for under $10,000.? I think to make a bike like this for under 9 grand takes original thinking.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 06:56 AM   #13
KPaulCook
Banned

Pretty nice bike for under 9 grand. Compare with Ducati and Buell.
Old 11-30-2002, 07:00 AM   #14
KPaulCook
Banned

Now how much is that Ducati 749? How much is that Air cooled pushrod sportster powered Buell? Which would you rather have? The Honda or the others. The XB9 is innovative but how much of that innovation is necessary and how much is because they are using a tall ancient engine which forces the fuel in the frame and oil in the swingarm. Check out Marc Cooks and Mitch Boehms critique of the Buell in Motorcyclist.

Old 11-30-2002, 07:10 AM   #15
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda CBR 600RR Fast In Initial Testing.

"Fast in initial testing"? Really? And I was expecting Honda to say it was slower and crappier than the previous bike...

Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 07:26 AM   #16
Huss
Founding Member

Ya , I can't believe they didn't incorporate any unique innovations like an independant locking system (bring along yer own padlock just hope you don't fall on it), or external self-lubrication (what oil-leak, it's sweating..), or hinge in the middle (hey, it's dancing down the road and if you don't like it it's because you don't know how to ride..), or active weight reduction (that was meant to vibrate off...) or highway beautification program (I'm not broken down, I just think that chrome looks real good on the side of the road...).

Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 07:33 AM   #17
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

They weren't listed as "New" features. Nobody claimed them to be innovations, they are just part of the specs and features.

Even if there was only one innovation on that list, it would be enough to say that the 600RR is innovative. How many new bikes have you seen with a whole "handful" (your word) of innovations?
Old 11-30-2002, 07:38 AM   #18
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

There were spys (press) sneaking all around that test. The bike WAS indeed very very fast. The specs and features above were provided by Honda. The story was mine.
Old 11-30-2002, 07:44 AM   #19
dwr461
Founding Member

I believe that this bike has new and improved genuine Japanese air in the tires. It's much superior to the rest of the world's air. Now with the new and much lightened oxygen molecules, that (get ready for this) will improve your track times significantly if used properly.
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 12:22 PM   #20
9mile
Founding Member

Default Honda CBR 600RR Faster than RC51?

They were at the classic road course at Vegas. It's short and a superbike doesn't have the room to stretch. 2 short straights only. Light and quick will beat HP there. A worked 250 stroker would have pummeled both on that track...IMHO. I've done a track school and 3-4 track days there...