Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 08-12-2002, 08:19 PM   #1
vfrpinckney
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Superbike Results from VIR

Kudos to Speedvision (I don't like the new name) for sticking with the coverage, but what's with David Sadowsky(sp?)? Is he Kurtis Roberts' agent? The talent isn't worth squat if you can't ever make the finish line!

Do you think that Yates is going to get a spanking from the AMA?
vfrpinckney is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2002, 02:44 AM   #2
jodiesel
Founding Member

What's more important than the AMA is that I have finally received my 03' FJR1300!!!

jodiesel@earthlink.net
jodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 03:10 AM   #3
Grover
Founding Member

I think Yates will be fine. Given the fact that Nicky had to put out his own fire while a corner worker held his hand, I'd say there wasn't a whole lot of respect for the staff at VIR.

I think his comment about coming to "rinky-dink" racetracks pretty much summed it up. Don't get me wrong, I think the VIR layout is awesome, but the facilities need severe work. As far as I could tell, the only real building on the premesis was a big red barn. I think I can hear the WSB and MotoGP folks laughing at the AMA right now.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 03:14 AM   #4
kman45
Founding Member

You're not the only one who hates the Speed name. I heard half the people at VIR call it Speedvision, including the track announcers who stumbled over it a few times. Being at the race I didn't hear Sadowski, but he is a bit over the top about Kurtis, and I agree Kurtis does not warrant the praise or the attention. 'Ski has a bad habit of forecasting what might be happening, but I do appreciate his insights and commentary, just needs to leave out the prognosticating.

I was at turn 4-5 when Yates and Kurtis went down. Yates was actually just reacting to the burning bike a lot faster than the silly marshals. Kurtis's bike is still laying on the track and the marshals were throwing a waving yellow. Kurtis walked away from his bike when the little flames started (he wasn't much worried about himself) and Yates was also nearby. So Yates threw himself on the track trying to get the marshals to call a red flag, which they should have right off the bat anyway since Kurtis's bike was laying just a few feet of the racing line on the track. It took way too long for somebody to show up with a fire extinguisher if you ask me, and no marshals showed up at the bike until the guy with the fire extinquisher. I think Yates even managed to get his bike back on the track by himself, and Kurtis got a ride back from another racer before any marshals made it to him. He'll likely end up with a fine/suspension, but AMA needs to look at perhaps training the marshals for a little quicker action, and place some extinguishers and safety gear a little closer to where they might need it.

For instance the marshals for turn 4 are before the turn, and the marshals for turn 5 are well after. Yet, we saw a number of crashes between turn 4 and 5 and nobody but photographers seemed to be in place right behind the air fence there, ready to respond. Certainly no safety gear there as if it was it could have been to Kurtis's bike rapidly. Instead some guy has to run through the ditch and up the hill from the turn 5 station.

We also saw quite a few guys go off at the kink before turn 3, and at turn 3. Guys going off at the kink had to wait a long time before the marshals stationed on the very outside of the track could get there. I know they can't be real close to the action and in the danger zone, but I think they could have been positioned a little better, especially when they know where the crashers will end up for the most part. Only the flag guys need to be before a turn, the safety workers typically need to be at or through the turn.
kman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 03:33 AM   #5
jmeyn
Founding Member

The only good thing about the superbike weekend was the last lap of race 2.

I wonder how Mladin felt about it; he wasn't saying. (kidding, of course)
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 04:29 AM   #6
Capnzoomo
Founding Member

Default Re: VIR Facility

So, it was hot in August in southern VA. That is an issue for AMA, not VIR. I found the facility great. Shady places to order good enough food & to eat. Showers & airconditioned bathroom. Easy to walk around from one corner watching area to another to see large parts of the track from single viewpoints. Friendly staff. Pits very accessible for being nosey.

Old 08-13-2002, 04:32 AM   #7
Capnzoomo
Founding Member

Default Re: Yates nap on the track at turn 4

I obviously don't know what Aaron Yates was thinking when he ran out & lay down on the track. It did remind me of the tactic dirt track racers use - when they fall, they lie on the track so the race has to be red-flagged & they can then get back in the restart. As soon as they see the red flag, they go from playing dead to running to the bike, picking it up & jump starting it.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:06 AM   #8
jmeyn
Founding Member

The only good thing about the superbike weekend was the last lap of race 2.

I wonder how Mladin felt about it; he wasn't saying. (kidding, of course)

jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 06:29 AM   #9
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

Default Re: VIR Facility

Agreed, but any track where the start/finish is unviewable by anyone except the track officials and the TV audience is sorely in need of some grandstands. It wouldn't be too difficult by the looks of it. Just a foot bridge and a set of high school bleachers on the other side of the track from the pits would do VIR a world of good. Oh yeah, an audio system that is audible and more than one tiny broken ATM machine for 10,000 hungry consumers might be nice too.
LocutusDeBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 06:35 AM   #10
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

Default In Other News...Randy Renfrow

Ya know, I thought News was News. I emailed the news staff about why there were no stories on the death of one of America's grittiest and best loved roadracers, Randy Renfrow, and the response I got was very disheartening.

John Burns:

"well, if you already know about it, why do we need to report on it?"

My response:

"'cause your journalists?..and it's news? ...and you might want to report on it and say something witty or thoughful or otherwise informative? ... You guys seem to like to do stuff like that ...and I like to pay you to do it ...and I think that you usually do it pretty well when you get around to it.

sheesh... "

Bitter Little Man, What Gives?

LocutusDeBorg is offline   Reply With Quote