Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 07-29-2002, 09:15 AM   #61
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Thanks for making my point and I don't want to.

KPaulCook... you're not paying attention.

The use of helmets, especially full-faced helmets is an effective safety precaution.

The creation of laws to force helmet use is wrong.

If you want to pay less for insurance, you should persue insurance industry reform. The current state of the insurance industry is such that the price you pay is essentially unrelated to risk.

If you want to pay less for EMS services... well, that's a relatively trivial sum. I'd gladly pay five times as much for such a valuable service.

The credibility with the non-riding public argument is simply ignorant of the facts. Hobby rocketry has a truly exemplary safety record over the past 30+ years, but most of the non-rocketry-knowledgable public still thinks it's incredibly dangerous. Motorcyclists could all be perfect citizens for the next 30 years, and the non-riding public would still think it's insanely dangerous.
das is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2002, 09:26 AM   #62
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: If you don't wear a Full Face Helmet and Protective Gear you are an Organ Donor

"And anybody that does wear the proper helmet and gear everytime DOES deserve the right to jump on their high horse and point out the fact that everybody else is an idiot!"

So the non-riding public can get on their "high horse" and point out the fact that you are an idiot for riding a motorcycle in the first place?
Old 07-29-2002, 09:30 AM   #63
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Thanks for making my point and I don't want to.

EMS services a relatively trivial sum?? Really care to pay my property taxes on that item sir.

Hobby rocketry Good one LOL

Full Face Helmet Law = Seat Belt Law = Save Lives + Less Injuries = Lower Insurance Costs = Lower EMS Costs = Less Clean Up of Brain Material = More AMA credibility with lawmakers
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 09:31 AM   #64
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: If you don't wear a Full Face Helmet and Protective Gear you are an Organ Donor

Full Face Helmet Law = Seat Belt Law = Save Lives + Less Injuries = Lower Insurance Costs = Lower EMS Costs = Less Clean Up of Brain Material = More AMA credibility with lawmakers

No high horses about it.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:33 AM   #65
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Mandate SUVs

LOL thanks for the laugh
Old 07-29-2002, 09:37 AM   #66
KPaulCook
Banned

Default So much for andecdotal B.S.

In David Houghs book Proficient Motorcyling, he mentions on page 28 a German Study on head injuries. The study by Dietmar Otte and Gunter Fleton was published in the The Proceedings of the 1991 International Motorcyle Conference. If you use a half helment (skull cap) i.e. no ear and face coverage, You only protect yourself from 38.6 % of the impacts to the head. Not very good odds I say. So much for andecdotal B.S.

Old 07-29-2002, 09:37 AM   #67
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Me three

I'm with sportbike_pilot on this one.

Down with helmet laws, up with helmet usage.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:46 AM   #68
das
Founding Member

Helmet laws and seatbelt laws don't save lives or lower injury rates. Helmet and seatbelt USAGE do those things.

Saved lives and less injuries do not reduce insurance costs. Vehicle insurance costs are driven more by liability lawsuits and pure greed than anything else. Anybody want to hazard a guess as to what percentage of your insurance premiums actually ends up in the hands of claimants (as opposed to the insurance company itself or lawyers (on both sides) or lobbyists, etc).

AMA credibility has a lot more to do with public perception of motorcycling in general than with actual facts.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:55 AM   #69
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: An idea that sportbikers won't like.

Good Point but what I am talking about (helmet laws) is something that if the AMA got behind would add credibility to there motorcycle safety program. Although limiting speed to 65 would reduce some accidents I don't think it would be practical. Helmet laws are practical and responsible. The also will impact injuries rates more so than limiting speed to 65mph. You can go 40 mph on some roads and be unsafe.

Old 07-29-2002, 10:00 AM   #70
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Me three Dreaming and Product Liability

Dream on. In 10 years all states will have mandatory helment laws. This fight against madatory laws is a losing/wasteful battle. I assert that if the AMA continues on that path it will have no clout to block really stupid moves, like suing motorcycle makers for product liability. Remember product liability suits put General Aviation plane makers out of business for a few years.