Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   AMA Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/)
-   -   AMA Testifies on Capitol Hill for Steps to Improve Motorcycling Safety (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/1323-ama-testifies-capitol-hill-for-steps-improve-motorcycling-safety.html)

DJS 07-29-2002 05:42 AM

Let me clarify...

The "no helmet, no pay" comment referred strictly to motorcyclists but I would have no problem with health insurance charging more premiums for _behavior_ based health risks. I would have no problem with a health insurance company giving a premium break to people who choose to not smoke and choose to maintain a healthy weight. Now I would have a problem with health insurance saying you have a history of cancer in your family, we're charging you extra.

Bottom line is we've got to inject some personal responsibility into our culture. Let people make their choices without government intervention but let them face the consequences as well.

And I'm not talking about a law, I'm talking about good old capitalism. Insurance companies already have policies that say "we won't pay for an accident if you loan your vehicle to another driver". This is no different, you agree to never ride without a helmet, jacket and gloves, and in turn the insurance company can offer you lower rates. I'd love to see them do more with rider education too. Maybe give bigger discounts for attending advanced riding schools like Keith Code's classes.

Insurance is bordering the absurd, many times you are expected to pay 50% of the bike's value per year. We gotta change something.

David

intruderman 07-29-2002 05:44 AM

Re: AMA Testifies on Capitol Hill for Steps to Improve Motorcycling Safety

It seems like the last time the AMA tried to get some legislation passed to help us, Congress ended up screwing us instead with that health insurance fiasco. Ok, so now the AMA is going to try to get congress to authorize some study to see how they can make the roads safer for us. Does anybody else see the potential results here? They'll probably pass some law as a result that requires leg protectors on all new bikes, forces us to wear inflatable crash vests, requires bikes with blinking and flashing lights.... I don't want to risk getting any more "help" from congress. I'd prefer they just left us alone.

KPaulCook 07-29-2002 05:53 AM

Re: The big difference between the NRA and AMA

good one. LOL.

KPaulCook 07-29-2002 05:54 AM

Re: The big difference between the NRA and AMA

I think your stats are wrong longride. I check back with some correct numbers. I'll be gone on business for a week.

KPaulCook 07-29-2002 05:56 AM

Re: Some ideas and the cruiser guys won't be happy

Where are you getting your stats longride? Please reveal your sources.

KPaulCook 07-29-2002 05:58 AM

Re: If you don't wear a Full Face Helmet and Protective Gear you are an Organ Donor

Aren't you the same guy who rides only in a jean jacket? Sorry but I don't want to pay for your negligence. Thanks for making my point that bikers are incapable of self regulation. Thus the need for mandatory helmet laws.

longride 07-29-2002 05:59 AM

Re: AMA Testifies on Capitol Hill for Steps to Improve Motorcycling Safety

I would prefer they left us alone also. At least the AMA can minimze the damage a bit. God knows what the Congressional Morons would come up with left to their own devices. Probably any or all of your above thoughts.

KPaulCook 07-29-2002 06:00 AM

Thanks for making my point.

Thanks for making my point that bikers are incapable of self regulation. Thus the need for mandatory helmet laws.

KPaulCook 07-29-2002 06:02 AM

Thanks for making my point and I don't want to.

Thanks for making my point that bikers are incapable of self regulation. Thus the need for mandatory helmet laws. Sorry I don't want to pay for your "personal preference" in the form of higher insurance costs, higher EMS costs, and lack of creditability with the nonriding public

sportbike_pilot 07-29-2002 06:03 AM

Me too.

David,

I agree completely. I am opposed to helmet laws (and mandatory seatbelt laws for adults for that matter) but I also think that you are a fool to ride a motorcyle without a hemlet. I just think that it's not the role of the government to tell us to do so. Seatbelt laws and helmet laws, IMO, have way less to do with any constitutional role of government than they do with pressure from special interest groups. I don't think that the powers who legislate these things into existence are out to do any of us a favor. It's about making a buck for someone. But even if these laws were truly altruistic I'd still be against them because, in my view, the role of government in a free society is not to protect me against myself.

Of course I also believe that you are a fool if you smoke, ignore your health, or are an ignoramous in the information age, ... but you know what, that's your business, not mine or anyone else's. And it's your right. In this country you have the right to be completely stupid if that's what you want. As long as your stupidity does not directly affect me in some adverse (or illegal) way, and as long as you are willing to accept the consequences of your actions (e.g., not have my insurance rates increase due to your lifestyle choices) then I'm all for it: leave your helmet at home, smoke all you want, or consume a steady diet of beer and cheetos.

The problem is that personal responsibility is not something that we, as a society, are real big on. When we get whacked for doing something stupid a disgusting number of us (or our relatives) immediately begin looking for someone to sue. This litigation is fueled by big money, big interests, and eventually involves the power of the state. A few twists and turns aside, that's how we end up with mandatory helmet and seatbelt laws.

Cheers

Martin