Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 07-01-2002, 08:07 AM   #1
evilgenius
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Superbike results

I was at BIR this past weekend and it was an awesome race. I'm starting to gain more respect for Boss cuz he is pushing a 7-year old bike design and making the best out of it - hell, he even got the pole!

BTW, the long straight at BIR is 1 mile long, not kilometer, and didn't Nicky just turn 21 this past March?
evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2002, 09:58 AM   #2
KPaulCook
Banned

You are right on about Eric. I can't wait to see what he will do a new bike. Those WSB guys using the ZX-7 are not even close. So a a large part has to be the Eric. Such a class act too.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 11:24 AM   #3
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Eric rode the wheels off that ZX-7. Isn't there a rumor that there will be a Kawasaki V-Twin next year? Maybe the ZX-9 will be bored out to 1000cc and race under the new rules. I hope the kid gets a competitive bike because you can tell its his raw talent that lets him place so well.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:11 PM   #4
vfrpinckney
Founding Member

Default Re: WSB wild cards?

Have the riders been named for the wild card slots at Laguna yet? I think there are six spots available; I believe that EBoz doesn't need one because he has been running several rounds already this year and is counted as a regular(?) If we are still speculating at this point, I'll make my choices:

1. Hayden: time to run with the *really* big boys.

2. Gobert: despite health concerns, his past record at the track (except for testing positive!) means he should get the nod. Would he be the first to win WSB races on four different marques?

3. Chandler: past WSB winner, hometown favourite, and starting to find his form on the Duc.

4. Miguel: he has earned it; may have a few more surprises in him yet.

5. Mladin: despite a lackluster performance this year, he is the defending champ. He's really got nothing to lose by letting it all hang out.

6. I'd like to see Yates. Roberts might be entertaining, but he will have destroyed all of his equipment by Sunday. Hacking? See above for Roberts. Picotte? Well, if he could get a good supply of WSB Michelins...

vfrpinckney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 02:37 AM   #5
stormcloud
Founding Member

What a weekend coming up!

A chance for the AMA guys to compare laptimes to the WSB guys on the same weekend (oh, and overall race times).

I realise the machinery may not be equal, but it will be interesting nonetheless, and there's been success in the past.

Fascinating, fascinating, fascinating!!!!!

Roll on Laguna!

stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 02:38 AM   #6
stormcloud
Founding Member

Any ideas what speeds were being reached at the end of that straight ?

stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 08:13 AM   #7
evilgenius
Founding Member

Check out this link from amasuperbike.com...

http://www.amasuperbike.com/2002-Jun...sbktrapfri.htm

The Brainerd track had been repaved and resealed - making it more greasy and bumpy so those numbers will be quite a bit lower than last year's (I couln't find the link for last year's trap speeds but I do remember vividly that Roberts had his RC51 at 189 MPH and Tom Kipp had his FX GSX-R1000 at 192 MPH).

evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 09:15 AM   #8
KPaulCook
Banned

Default ZX-10 and MotoGP bike rumours

I think Kawasaki is headed in the 1000 cc in-line four direction. See

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/15jun...akirumors.html

and

according to motograndpriz.com it will be a big four

http://www.motograndprix.com/en/moto...=775 7&page=1

Kawasaki has limited experience with V-Twins (none in sportbikes I think) so it looks like they will go in-line 4.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 04:08 PM   #9
chrisek
Founding Member

Not equal? Last I heard American Honda runs WSB-spec Hondas and are the only ones besides Colin & Co. in the world! Gobert runs a better-than-Haga-had machine, and Mladin runs WSB-spec as well (whatever that's worth). Eric Bostrom HAS to be running similar stuff, I mean how much more advanced could WSB stuff be over his (OK, besides the suspension and tire technology.)
chrisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 05:49 PM   #10
salesman
Founding Member

Default Re: ZX-10 and MotoGP bike rumours

I've got a picture of the 990cc ZX-RR being raced/tested by Akira Yanagawa somewhere in Japan. I think the race is in a Japanese development class. At any rate you can see it at http://www.cjskawasaki.com. Kawasaki plans to run this bike in MotoGP in a few races late this year and the whole MotoGP season next year. Will Eboz be the rider? Enquiring minds want to know. (I want to know). I also want to know if this has any relation to a possible 2003 zx10r. The present motor is putting out big hp numbers w/ muzzy or tts 998 kits. Will this 990 motor be all new or an update of the present mill? We'll know in September won't we.

Salesman
salesman is offline   Reply With Quote