Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 05-21-2002, 07:22 AM   #11
runner00
Founding Member

Default Re: Road Atlanta overall victory goes to...

Whos setting up these Hondas and why is it we never hear anything about them. I don't think it's all Nicky, though he is at this rate destine to be one of the greats.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2002, 08:30 AM   #12
SlowBear
Founding Member

As an ex local racer (a few steps below the AMA privateers) I respect anybody that has the courage to get on a track. OTOH, did you see the closing speeds from the front mounted cameras? How about the erratic riding by some of the back markers before, during and after being a pass? In the Saturday race Hayden spooked a big clump of the slowest riders so badly he picked up 2 seconds in one lap. That is not racing, that is Russian Roulette.

People who are lapped before the halfway point do not belong on the track during a professional race. Amateur racing provides a place where everybody can get on a track, support classes provide a step between amateur and top level racing. At any level there will be variations between riders and bikes but the AMA's "112% rule" is just too generous.

Bostrom, Hayden and rest are at work here folks, they are not out for a fun filled afternoon ride. They do not have the option of backing off and passing the slow guy a few corners later or on the next straight. They are forced to add even more risk to a dangerous job by passing people who are both slow and erratic. I'm not talking about guys like Brian Parriot, Woody Deatherage and Brian Livengood, they have slow bikes but ride them well, I'm talking about people who just are not ready to be in a professional race.

Racing is dangerous enough without adding unnecessary risk. How would you like having your career, health and even life endangered because you boss wanted a "full office" (as the AMA wants a "full grid")?

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 10:25 AM   #13
bimota
Founding Member

Default How quickly the mighy have fallen...

Where's Mladin this year? Last season he made it sound like everyone else was lucky to get to be on the track with him. This year, nothing.

I wonder if he wishes he had moved to World or GP?
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 10:40 AM   #14
zx-6r_maniac
Founding Member

definitely...the other day the editor of motorcycle magazine wrote a column against the ama adopting rules aimed at creating evenly tuned machines. that makes no sense whatsoever...make everybody ride on the same amount of hp and we'll see who's the man!
zx-6r_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 10:46 AM   #15
zx-6r_maniac
Founding Member

truth is that i dont race...but if i did i'd want the lapped guys to get outta the goddamn way! the ama believes this adds a twist to the races by increasing the level of competition just before they get to lap guys...and this is true we all saw how nicky used it to get way ahead on saturday. the ama wont changed his mind until someone dies because of one of the slow guys...which is really really sad...btw you think chandler would have a chance of coming back at all this yr if not for the use of airfences?
zx-6r_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 10:49 AM   #16
boates1
Founding Member

I'll say it again, I think Bostrom could beat Nicky if Bostrom's bike was a V-twin too. Mladin must be doing something wrong or he doesn't have the character it takes to come from behind. He can make excusses all day as to why he's not on the podium. Yates has the same team supporting him and he is doing fine. Maybe Yates' crew sets up his bike to Yates' riding style and Mladin's crew to his riding style. Bottom line is Mladin is not impressing anyone this year. I won't count him out just yet though.
boates1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 11:13 AM   #17
Haga-san
Founding Member

I disagree, this would be very boring! You need to give the manufacturers the ability to show off their wares and see who has the best stuff. Otherwise it would be like watching 750 superstock which is essentially a Suzuki cup! Boooring!!
Haga-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 12:06 PM   #18
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Agree. I am also an amateur racer and I wouldn't change a word.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 12:13 PM   #19
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Pretty fickle. Mat spent the past three years opening many Extra Value Packages of Whoopa$$ on all comers. This year, he can't come to terms with the bike and people claim he's no good. Eventually, they will find the elusive item or (more like) combination of items that have caused the bike to be far less controllable than last year. When they do, he'll be back up there.

That stated, nobody is likely to beat Nicky. His bike is clearly superior and he is among the small handful of top shelf riders out there. Boz, Yates, Mladin, Gobsmack are also there. Miguel, Chandler and Pascal might be right there as well. I say might about Miguel because he's on the same superior bike, but definitely isn't up to Nicky's challenge.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 05:51 PM   #20
nitrofly
Founding Member

celebrity deathmatch:

nitro nori vs nicky hayden at laguna

now that would be worth watching.