Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 04-13-2002, 08:30 AM   #41
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Motard Super Single?

If you can make a bike that light, and with 80-90hp, why go with a sportbike configuration? You aren't going to be winning any top-speed wars anyway, but corner speed wars.

So why not use the technology then to make a 60 degree lean angle motard or motard/sportbike hybred? Yeah, you are paying for it in aerodynamics, limiting the top speed, but MAN would it handle, from glassy smooth track to really crappy road.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2002, 11:43 AM   #42
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Someone's ego too fat and wide

Are you surprised, haven't you ever read anything JB has written? Bitter little man ring any bells? Coarse and Harsh is his forte (that's FORT to the uneducated, as FORTAY means loud, lol). I'm just glad I wasn't the one that was in his way when his y-meter hit overload, but it's good reading.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 03:09 PM   #43
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Production liter class to fat and wide

Why not check it out before flaming, JB? Then, If he's wrong, you can tell him so.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 03:21 PM   #44
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Come on JohnnyB, don't be an A$$

At coefficient of friction = 1, maximum lean is 45 degees regardless of curve radius. At 100 foot curve radius you can do 97 mph at max lean or 89 mph at 40 degree lean. That's 8 mph for 5 degrees of lean angle restriction!
Old 04-13-2002, 03:56 PM   #45
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Production liter class to fat and wide

The big advantage of the v-twins over the inline fours is plain old frontal area. The ground clearance problem is solved by raising the engine ("to move the CG of the bike closer to the CG of the rider"- Honda press release on the 954 (haha)).

The effect of aerodynamics is huge at anything over 100 mph. Max speed in a 300 ft radius curve is reduced by drag to 10 mph below the theoretical maximum of about 170 mph.
Old 04-14-2002, 05:36 AM   #46
banda
Founding Member

But the coefficient of friction between tire and asphalt is higher than 1. Tires deform to the road surface and "interlock" with the irregular pavement surface. It's really not quite like the smooth surface calculations we used in high school physics.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 05:38 AM   #47
banda
Founding Member

Default What kind of machines would we be riding?

One word: Supermotard.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 06:52 AM   #48
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: Formula Extreme Reader Feedback

Agreed, agreed... insurance rates are climbing for the 600's as their performance increases... 'yikes' for all of us.

I think it would be great to see a re-birth of the 400 to 500 cc class. Another poster brought up a good point though that would likely come into play: the relative "gutless-ness" of small 4s bikes. I imagine that a leap in some technology to bring them a little more grunt would go a long way in making them pallatable to U.S. buyers. Hmmm.. supercharging??.. (not turbos, which tend to be peaky and high-RPM).

Then again, I ride around on a 2s 250... talk about NO TORQUE! .. but I love that little bike and the powerband + handling make up for the sluggish bottom. If someone would build a 'clean' 500cc 2s, I'd buy it in a heartbeat (so long as it was less than $12K... which ought to be possible)... ahh, but I'm digressing back to my old rant again.. sorry!

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 12:56 PM   #49
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default Re: Formula Extreme Reader Feedback

WHAT ABOUT VARIETY?

THINK!

A bike is built around an engine.

The bigger the engine, the bigger the frame needs to be to house it (not just the Power) and the bigger all the cycle parts need to be.

The more reciprocating mass, the harder a bike is to throw around/steer.

THERE IS A WAY AROUND THIS AND STILL HAVE BIG HP.

Have a look at the times a Ducati supermono is capable of, or a GP125 or 250.

It isnt just the tyre size that makes bigger bikes slower to turn etc.

Mass and reciprocating forces play a huge part.

The solution?

Forced induction on a single (or small capacity twin).

Not turbo's, with their lag and lack of throttle response.

SUPERCHARGE it.

Get a competitive horsepower level in a compact chassis with much lower reciprocating mass. Perfect throttle response, perfectly mimicked power/torque curves.

I think they'd be very competitive.
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 01:00 PM   #50
jmeyn
Founding Member

Just using 1 as an example. Every corner is different. In the rain, try .7