Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 04-12-2002, 10:21 AM   #31
NotoriousDJW
Registered Member

Default Re: Formula Extreme Reader Feedback

OK, point well taken. I still think it's time to reevaluate the current racing formulas. With GP1 going 4 stroke with 990cc and Superbikes reportedly to follow, why not unify the rules worldwide? A 250cc single cylinder racer class, 500cc multi class (or maybe just twins), and 990cc main event. That way you could have Gran Prix level machines at the world level and production replica classes in each country. If this formula was applied worldwide it would help the manufacturers concentrate their development efforts and allow the US to maybe get machines that only appeal to a smaller group.

In a related note, the 600cc class is popular today because the bikes are relatively cheap and generally get favorable insurance rates. With top speeds topping 160mph I assume that the insurance discount will (already has?) erode until the young and foolish (or old and foolish like me) can't buy them any more. So we may have to cut the displacement again to get these bikes back into insurable territory which brings us back to 500cc GP2 replicas.
NotoriousDJW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2002, 11:58 AM   #32
metal
Founding Member

That was exactly the bike that beat me last year in an amature middleweight GP race at Thunderhill. I was riding a CBR F3 and took second. The CR won the race by a mile.
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 12:31 PM   #33
rmiller
Founding Member

Your comment regarding the Buell Firebolt is very well founded. I hope it succeeds. Racing class formulas are slow in their evolution and since the factories build to those formulas, well, we all get the picture. My concern with the Firebolt is that is introduces a number of groundbreaking chassis/wheel/braking technolgies to promote light handling; then is saddled with a fairly heavy motor. I hope people dont lose site of the forest for the trees here.

The turbo-single is a great extension to the light makes right formula. For some reason, noone with the ability to build ultralite affordable bikes (read: Japanese) wishes to use that technology on anything other than a four cylinder machine.

Regarding some other posts in this section, if two-strokes were able to meet emissions, we wouldn't be having this discussion. A 600cc twin would rule the roost, no pun intended.

rmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 12:47 PM   #34
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

That was Me!
Old 04-12-2002, 01:00 PM   #35
rmiller
Founding Member

You're right about the small market for these bikes. They were only built because of the then in place Japanese market displacement/licensing restrictions. These bikes have zero utility beyond canyon riding/racing and give up too much straight line performance next to a comparably priced (already midrange deficient) 600. Again, it comes down to engine format. If the factories had incentive to build lighter bikes with reasonable midrange response or powerbands that dont exist exclusively above 12,000+ rpm, they would build them and people would buy them. Ducati proved that a big twin could produce 10 second horsepower. The door is open for one of the manufacturers to similarly to take advantage of a heretofore underdeveloped layout. Newly defined racing formula's may be the only way to do that. Chicken and the egg syndrome.

rmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 01:57 PM   #36
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Come on JohnnyB, don't be an A$$

Have you ever looked really close? The original R1 framed Extreme bike would drag that left side crankcase cover on turns and so would Nicky and Kurtis Roberts on the CBR919 whatever it was called. The fairing would be scraped to hell. There may be a few degree difference, which may seem insignificant, but on a smooth sweeper that's a few mile per hour difference. Thanks for the educated, quick and concise response. Thanks.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 02:00 PM   #37
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Someone's ego too fat and wide

Thanks banda. You are right.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 03:37 PM   #38
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: Someone's ego too fat and wide

If cornering clearance isn't an issue, then his royal highness could have said so. But no. He chose to ignore the question and dump on a subscriber.

It sort of paints a picture of the journalist's priorities, doesn't it? He could have engaged the reader in a discussion pertinent to the topic, but he chose to throw out a little pointed humiliation and sarcasm instead.

I was coarse about it because I feel sort of cheated. I am disappointed in JB. Maybe I just had my hopes up too high.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 05:37 PM   #39
xIrvx
Founding Member

Default kawi conundrum

Hopefully this post is buried too far to get any attention. There are four players in the kawi/suzi merger. Kawasaki Heavy Industries of Japan, a mega corp that builds trains, bridges, ships etc. Kawasaki Motorcycles Japan, the sub-unit of KHI that builds bikes. Kawasaki usa, the American distributors. Last, and not least, Suzuki. My impression is that KHI would like to unload the motorcycle business because it LOSES MONEY. Furthermore, KHI (the parent company) is facing a huge investment to make Kawi bikes competitive(emission controls, 4 stroke mx'ers, moto gp etc) The employees of Kawi of Japan and USA are nervous about their pension plans and are fighting to retain credibility. The only substantiation I have is the no-show of a Kawi GP bike. Ironically, Suzuki's GP bike seems to be more competitive than Yamaha's. Then there are the conflicting statements from kawi usa, Kawi Japan and Suzuki.
xIrvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 08:24 AM   #40
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Kawasaki GP

Well, they are, just shooting for the 2003 season. 990cc inline 4, and the preview on the looks... Well, only can say "WOW!"

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/racing...umentID=138475

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote