Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 04-12-2002, 06:26 AM   #21
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Production liter class to fat and wide

Well said, JB.

Now go tell that knucklehead Ludington to put 15W fork oil in Miguel's RC51. Tell him I said it was right.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2002, 06:34 AM   #22
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Formula Extreme Reader Feedback

Congratulations on a highly thought out, sane post.

Given the improvements in electronic controls, materials and turbo unit technology, a smaller (easier to balance) conventional single could be brought to those power levels pretty easily. There is no reason that a manufacturer couldn't build a 90+hp turbo single that has nice throttle response and weights 350 lbs tank empty.

The market hasn't demanded it yet, since all sportbikes are based upon racing formulas. The Buell Firebolt is an extremely significant bike because it breaks the mold. If it is successful, the Japanese might begin to believe in the possiblity of making money on a full force sportbike that isn't based upon a major racing formula.

Old 04-12-2002, 06:35 AM   #23
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: FX photos

So, d'you think those frame sliders were OEM or aftermarket?
Old 04-12-2002, 06:35 AM   #24
NotoriousDJW
Registered Member

I agree that we need a new class that would deliver 80-90 hp, 380lb (wet) bikes. How about if the 250cc class goes 4 stroke with a GP2 classification? Allow 450-500cc multis with a tiered weight structure. Then produce street replicas which eventually replace the 600cc class.

I think that a 450cc V-4 Honda should be able to produce a rev ceiling of 15 or 16k and produce 80-85hp and weigh <400lbs. Then I could rev the teats off of it on the street while staying out of jail for "excessive display of speed" violations. These liter bikes are fantastic (I owned a 929 for a couple of years) but a 3/4 scale version would also kick ass.

NotoriousDJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 06:47 AM   #25
vfrpinckney
Founding Member

These little screamers would be great fun, but I can a see a problem already. While it is true that such a bike would certainly be faster (than a liter bike) on a tight and twisty road, almost nobody would buy it. Why? Because such a bike will cost nearly as much as a liter bike. There just aren't enough people out there that would have enough appreciation for such a bike to pay for it.
vfrpinckney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 08:08 AM   #26
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Someone's ego too fat and wide

Not that he needs me to defend him, but... Speaking of A$$es, your own response to JohnnyB's, is far more coarse and A$$ like.

Perhaps he didn't ask about it, because crank case clearance is not really an issue with these bikes. I'm sure that if he was interviewing Ivon Duhamel after a BMW Legends race, he would have asked about cylinder head clearance.

Old 04-12-2002, 08:22 AM   #27
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

CR-500 hillclimb motors easily produce 90 H.P. on alcohol, though they are light and powerful, they tend to hit rather hard and crank and case life suffers I'm toying with the idea for my (250Lb) CR-500 supermotard / roadracer.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:23 AM   #28
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Exactly. Back in the day (oooh.. let's say the late 80's), you could get such an animal... the FZR400. Still raced and loved by many... but, up against the 'big-bikes', it just didn't sell so well. No one wanted to buy a 'small' bike... regardless of it's handling prowess.

Now then, should GP2 (the proposed name for FIM-250's, I think??) go small-bore 4-stroke, perhaps public interest would be higher.

Japan makes or made 400cc 4s bikes like FZR400's and RVF400s and CBR400's and ZX400RR's and GSXR400's... they exist. It's always been a matter of the U.S. market not willing to buy them... if so, they'd already be here.

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 08:30 AM   #29
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: FX photos

Not that it matters to me, but my guess: aftermarket. Someone go wave a dollar at her and see if it triggers any Pavlovian-type responses and/or gyration...
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 08:43 AM   #30
granny
Founding Member

Default Drive a bike for a year and 'graduate' from 2 wheels to 4.

I think requiring every driver to pass a motorcycle safety class would be excellent, I've often though that was a good way to help make the roads safer. There are some cage people that think that bikes leaned over are in danger of falling and must be why some cage people panic at the sight of a leaned over bike.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote