Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 04-11-2002, 05:02 PM   #11
sculptor666
Founding Member

Default Re: Formula Extreme Reader Feedback

slightly off topic but,

what's kawasaki's plan with the zx-6r 636? does anyone think that'll be campaigned in superstock next year? or keep the current 6r platform for racing and market the 636 to replace some of the dinosaurs in their lineup.

america needs a GP1 track

sculptor666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2002, 05:32 PM   #12
rmiller
Founding Member

I, for one, rue the loss of the 750 class. Suzuki may keep building them since they own the class, but once 1000cc 4 cyclinders are sanctioned for SB that may go away as well. With no more than 5-10 lbs separating 600s from 1000s, its pretty obvious the Japanese factories have refined the 4 cylinder format to a razor's edge weight-wise. Bikes using existing layouts will only have marginal improvement without a significant change in applied materials / manufacturing tech or cost. The V-Twins are heavier than the in-line fours, and the V-fours are heavier still.

However, I think that a new class of light or ultra-lite sportbikes has an opening; perhaps a single or inline twin.

Ideas? I believe Ducati is now running 104x58 b/s on their racing twins. If Honda were to adapt a similiar ratio and introduce an oval-piston 6 valve (not cylinder, this could yield a 750cc single of similiar stroke with a rev ceiling of 11,500 rpm in street form. This should yield 80-90 rear wheel horsepower. In a 400 class sized ultra-lite chassis, this could probably be brought in at under 320lbs or better. I know, balance issues exist, but Germany based singles classes are yielding 850cc and up with contra-rotating cranks etc.

Twins. Maybe a short stroke parallel twin. In-lines are the lightest format, and if they worked out the balance issues, this would yield a 750 lighter than the current 600s with similiar power, or possibly a 1000 lighter than any of the existing open bikes.

Personally, I would trade weight for horsepower if one of the factories could bring a new class of sport bike in at under 330 lbs. Anyone been paying attention to the supermotard class?

And with GP inspired multi-cylinder Vee1000s looming as state of the art street platforms, we may end up taking as many steps back in terms of weight as we do forward.
rmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 05:42 PM   #13
DucButt
Founding Member

Default Re: FX photos

Burnsie:

Photo 1 (Tom Kipp) - you mean 0.8mph, right?

Photo 2 (Pretty in pink) - If that arm had been moving 0.8mph faster, we would have gotten to see more. Nice frame sliders, though.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 07:57 PM   #14
DataDan
Founding Member

Two big factors (prolly lots more subtleties than I'll ever know about):

1) Mike Hale identified this one: money. But there's more to it than just cash. An organization that's well funded and has well-established connections--to the shock and fork suppliers, to the tire mfr, to the guy who does computer analysis on mountains of data collected in testing--and has its own engineering staff to make sense of all that information, can develop the package more effectively. I would guess the Superbike teams trounce the FX teams in the budget department.

2) Street bikes aren't race bikes. As I understand the rules, Superbike doesn't allow the frame to be modified from stock. So, it has to be designed from the beginning to withstand loads imposed by world-class riders running the stickiest slicks available. There are likely drawbacks to such a structure on a streetbike--cost if nothing else--so the R1 and 954 are at a disadvantage when slicks are fitted and a professional rider is up. Thus Buckmaster uses an R7 frame. If the GSXR1K shares the 750's frame, that could be a key advantage for it.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 12:05 AM   #15
painter_1
Founding Member

john B. you said just add some compression and better suspension . Did you read the new road racing world they were doing the same test. the GSXR1000 kicked but on the track there too. you should read their side bar on the suspension. The traxton dynamics sups. guy rated the bikes, said the Honda and and the gixxer forks were total crap. the R1 and zx9 weren't much better. {see you are a GOD}. have minnie put some Ohlin's fork's on that gixxer and send him to the next FX RACE. Bet he make's the grid.
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 12:11 AM   #16
painter_1
Founding Member

As you can tell, I recieved straight A's in spelling and puncuation
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 04:17 AM   #17
schlaxn
Founding Member

Default Re: ZX6R 636

In Europe, Kawa offers a "down-bore-kit" for the ZX-6R for those, who want to compete in amateur supersport races. There's a Kawa-636-Cup too.
schlaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 05:07 AM   #18
gte619e
Founding Member

Get a few friends together and it can still be a GP. There might be a lot of moving obstacles (most of them blindly moving), but that just makes it more interesting. On the flip side, maybe there should be a new race series, one with soccer moms on cell phones in suburbans driving around the course.
gte619e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 05:07 AM   #19
banda
Founding Member

Default Someone's ego too fat and wide

All right, smart a$$, did you ask anyone about ground clearance? Is your smart a$$ patronizing response to the reader based on your knowledge that there is no cornering clearance difference between superbikes and FX bikes? Maybe you could address the question instead of being a whiny *****. You print pukes need to learn a thing or two about how to control yourselves when readers ask questions immediately. Have minime explain it to you. He's gracious and understanding (for the most part) under cross-examination. You, however, come off as a hostile witness.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 05:37 AM   #20
CanuckBusa
Founding Member

Default Re: Production liter class to fat and wide

i think the gixxer1000 engine is 'marginally' wider than the 750. so you should be able to lean it over pretty well.
CanuckBusa is offline   Reply With Quote