Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 04-09-2002, 06:59 AM   #11
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Fontana: Day two and redemption for Nicky

The comments were part of and about the only real story in the race. Hayden had no comment about that story. He wasn't there.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2002, 08:28 AM   #12
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

Default Re: we ALL hate dentists, but ....

I didn't say he was a bad guy. In fact, he's provided me with a good deal of amusement, and I sincerely hope he wasn't hurt. But he is a slow rider, so slow that he is a menace to guys like Chandler and the rest. He really shouldn't be on the same grid as the pros, for his sake as well as theirs.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 11:36 AM   #13
MattTinSF
Founding Member

Dealing with back-markers is a big part of racing at almost all levels, but especially for Superbikes. I think it makes for more interesting racing. And, no rider makes a Superbike starting grid unless he turns in a qualifying time that is no more than 112% or the time for the poll-sitter, so the good doctor couldn't have been all _that_ slow.

Besides, when there is a rider on the course who truly is a "menace" to other riders, the other riders have no qualms about letting everyone know that. I've never heard a single rider speak out against the doctor. I don't think he is any more or less a menace than your average back-row starter.
MattTinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 12:39 PM   #14
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

The AMA's official position is that racing is entertainment, not sport (the same position taken by NASCAR), and that the larger the starting grid, the more entertaining the race. As a result, there are people on the track who probably shouldn't be there. I've seen the dentist race several times, and from what I saw, he is probably one of those people.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote