Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 04-01-2002, 12:48 PM   #1
DucButt
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Racing goes global

While I support AMA, in that it let's our young Americans get a foot in the door, I do not care to watch Nicky vs Mladin. At this point in their careers, I'd much rather see Nicky and Mladin vs. the big boys in WSBK or GP1. Let the new young guns battle it out in the AMA. Okay, Nicky can stay another year, but is Mladin complacent or what? Afraid he can't fill the shoes of countrymen Doohan and Bayliss? Move on, Mladin. You've got the talent, right?
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2002, 01:40 PM   #2
stogieBill
Founding Member

I guess the up side of it is the AMA probably won't be scheduling national events on the same day as a GP race elsewhere in the world. I'm greedy, I like to watch them both, but not all in the same day.
stogieBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 01:44 PM   #3
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

I am not complaining there are six races this weekend and five are on sunday.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 02:47 PM   #4
onebadoldz
Founding Member

I couldn't agree with you more, Mladin should be moving on up. However, roadracing is getting to the point that there's so many competitive riders and basically not enough factory bikes to go around. Castrol Honda only has Colin Edwards, where as in past years they had up to three riders (Slight, Crafar). Yamaha is another examply as is Aprilia in the WSB series, not fielding a whole team of bikes, these riders simply need the factory sport to make for some truly competitive racing. I feel that the AMA is more competitive than WSB at this point because there are many riders in the hunt. MotoGP could be a one-monkey show with Rossi on the new Honda. I agree with you totally, let's see some of this young American talent get an early start in the big leagues of FIM roadracing so we can bring some championships back to American soil. Go Bostrom!
onebadoldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 10:04 PM   #5
DucButt
Founding Member

Good points made. It is ironic that the closest and typically most exciting racing occurs in the "support" races - notably AMA and FIM SuperSport. Is this a result of a more closely matched talent pool of riders, or more closely matched bikes? Both, obviously - but which plays the greater role?

Unlike Formula 1, we've always had an abundance of American talent succeed at the pinnacle of the sport. Great to see John Hopkins go to GPs, Colin and Ben to SBK - I hope more follow, and don't settle for a lifetime of domestic racing, like our hapless American auto racers. And how about Jason Di Salvo! It really takes courage to go across the pond at his age...
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 01:50 AM   #6
navion_pa1
Founding Member

Does this mean, we'll get to see BSB?
navion_pa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 03:27 AM   #7
onebadoldz
Founding Member

Yeah I have to cheer on Jason DiSalvo, he's a local guy, lives about 30 miles away here in Batavia, NY. The Buffalo News did a great article on him last year when he was constesting that European series on a 250GP bike, seems that he was mistakingly shipped the wrong forks by the factory, thus causing him to lose the front end in quite a few races. With a reliable mount, I'd like to see how he makes out this year. He looked impressive at Daytona, but then we all know what happened.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:29 AM   #8
onebadoldz
Founding Member

Yeah, Sunday may be a very non-productive day for motorcycle fans around the house, granted you have access to the racing. Sunday on Speedchannel is packed with racing, looks like it's time to fire up the grill and put some beer on ice.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:59 AM   #9
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Origninally, Mladin said that he was happy where he was. Who wouldn't be? Nice salary, great team, good working relationships, success and easy travel. In any of the world series' you gotta deal with insane travel.

More recently, Mladin has stated that he is interested in a world ride, but only if he brings his team. It would be a huge mistake for him to go to the world (SBK or GP) and ride a second rate bike. Put him on a WSB Gixx and he's barely an also ran. KR is currently by far the fastest non-Honda, but still giving up 1.5+ seconds to Rossi's 230hp beast.

If I were Matt, I'd stay put for a while.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 06:27 AM   #10
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

lol... it looked to me like he learned a valuable lesson at the expense of his team as well as that other rider's.

That happens to all good racers in the groth years I suppose. I just hope he learned it.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote