Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Advanced Riding

Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Default raining at night

To make an amazing long weekend story short, I'm at my girlfriends house last night, knowing it would likely rain by midnight, but around 11:30 I found myself distracted and the option of making the 45 mile trip home dry and by a reasonable hour was suddenly less important. Anyway, come 1AM, the roads were wet (although just a light sprinkle) and she kindly convinced me it was safer for me to stay then go, so, well, I stayed........ until 5:30 AM when it's time for her to get up & start her day.
I took of into a good steady rain. I had my rain gear, but not my helmet's face shield, so I put on my goggles with amber. My key issue on the commute was that the (tall) windshield with water droplets on both sides, combined with streetlights and occasional traffic was completely blinding.
I do know I will for now on keep my face shield with my rain gear, and the goggles were decent for keeping the pelting rain from my eyes, and sheeted water as well as could be expected.
My question here, should I have (considering I had an option of retrieving it at a later time) removed my wind shield from the bike, lost the glare but taken the wind & rain head on? I seem to remember plexus doing a better job sheeting away water (like rainX), but I know the last time I cleaned the shield I was trying to use up a bottle of Kawi's brand bike cleaner, so I may have created this problem for myself? Also by time I was 15 miles from home, day had broken and there was no glare, I wish I'd just waited another 30-60 min before getting on the road, but really diddn't consider waiting.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Some people can do it - but I have personally never had any luck with "looking through" a windshield either in the dark, OR in the rain (or both).

It's kinda-sorta a personal preference - but I prefer to just have the shield on and let it do my rain-deflectin' for me.

Until it fogs-over. Major Suckage at night, in the rain, in traffic (that for some reason always seems to gain about 35mph over what the same Idiots would drive the same road in the DRY...........)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

There's no easy way to do it I'm afraid. Riding in the dark in the rain is just no fun at all and I personally avoid it if possible. Once it gets light out then the game changes and it's no problem as long as you're geared up for it. I would leave the windshield on and use the goggles to keep the rain out of my eyes just like you did. Faceshields fog up and are all but useless after the first few minutes because you have to crack them open, this lets rain in the inside of the shield and then you have multiple layers of fogged up shield and rain plus the rain on the windshield.

Rain-ex works good on the bikes windshield but in my experience refracts light on faceshields unless you have no scratches or anything. I think other than waiting for it to get light you did about the best you could.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
JMcDonald
Registered Member

Aren't there anti-fogging solutions for face shields?
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
Aren't there anti-fogging solutions for face shields?
Yes and if you try every single one you may find one that actually works!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
JMcDonald
Registered Member

Haha I guess a better question would have been "aren't there effective anti-fogging solutions?" :P
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
12er
Founding Member

The fog city stick on shields seem to be the best antifog Ive found but thats on a full face lid. They just stick onto the existing face shield. You can buy them in clear, amber or tinted.

Might wanna put on some dark sunglasses ...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Thanks for the wisdom guys. I wear a 3/4 Scorpion lid with removable (either or not both) faceshield/visor. I typically use the shield in the colder months but like the visor for the sun if I don't need the warmth, was curious if my shield, being more vented then a full face helmet wouldnt fog like I know the full facers typically do when sealed up, and think the top/side gasket may do a decent job keeping the inside of the shield dry so only 1 layer of glare on it, and added face protection to boot. If that would be effective & considering where I'm leaving from, drop my shield off the bike and leave it behind for the time being. I know the closer the droplets are to your eyes, (although appearing bigger) there will be less of them, and I could use my glove's finger mounted squigee (if it works) if needed.
Also, I know my bike mounted shield is taller then need be, myself being 5-10 and the aftermarket seat may have also lowered posture, I could cut 3-4 inches off the top so I could then "sit tall" and see over it, likely save a bit of fuel too?
Old 05-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
12er
Founding Member

Aerostich and other joints sell finger squeegees that work better than the standard built on squeegee that some gloves have. I keep a small bottle of a rain-x copy in my tank bag just in case too. Quick wipe of it and a turn to the left and right while at speed and the wind clears my visor right off. I also try and direct my breath down when I have a medium to good exhale just in case.

Modifying the shield will effect buffeting etc. So you may gain an advantage at one thing and lose in another, that can get costly trying to find the ideal shield.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

There are many anti-fog products. None of them are permanent except for the Fog City shield.

I would highly recommend the Kleer Vu brand of anti-fog. It's a surfactant that you spray on and buff off. Works really well. Two or three small spritzes and a buff and your done. Here is the link: Anti fog: No Fog: De-Fog

I have also used the Scott brand treated cloth wipe. Worked much better than I expected, but still not as good as the Kleer Vu brand. The Scott spray-on anti-fog works okay, too, but still not as good as the Kleer Vu.

I have also used the All Kleer brand. It might be a good plastic polish, but it flippin' stinks for fog control.