Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Advanced Riding

Old 09-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"What about when you have to swerve around someone and your using the brakes..."

I'd say that it is, but that is certainly a different circumstance than a corner that you know is coming up, as the 'oh ****' factor isn't present. Swerving on the brakes hard in an emergency would be a skill that very few posess racer or not, and can't be thought about or practiced really. The only way you will ever know you can do that is to actually have some idiot cut you off and see if it works. Me, I'm initally on the brakes hard first, and if I see it isn't going to work, I get off the brakes and swerve. That's me. You may do something different.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Since he's one of the most successful trainers of road racers I'll stick with what he says.

I still don't trust modern tires as much as people who didn't grow up with the tires we had in the 60's 70's. As I recall there wasn't this powersliding around. You either stuck to the road or you went down. Not much warning either. I'd credit tires with the improvement in performance more than horsepower.
Boy thats one thing I'll give you. We have to older mechanics that used to flat track and roadrace here at my dealer and the tires those guys used to race with, where scary looking and skinny as hell, dont know how you guys did it, specially roadracing on those things, yikes.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"What about when you have to swerve around someone and your using the brakes..."

I'd say that it is, but that is certainly a different circumstance than a corner that you know is coming up, as the 'oh ****' factor isn't present. Swerving on the brakes hard in an emergency would be a skill that very few posess racer or not, and can't be thought about or practiced really. The only way you will ever know you can do that is to actually have some idiot cut you off and see if it works. Me, I'm initally on the brakes hard first, and if I see it isn't going to work, I get off the brakes and swerve. That's me. You may do something different.
No, no I guess in retro spec I release the brakes then stear it around. But I guess their might be a time when your flicking it from side to side with a little brake. In reponse to your other comment about swearving on the brakes can't be taught. Cornering and trailing at a trackday would deffinatly teach you that,I think.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
No, no I guess in retro spec I release the brakes then stear it around. But I guess their might be a time when your flicking it from side to side with a little brake. In reponse to your other comment about swearving on the brakes can't be taught. Cornering and trailing at a trackday would deffinatly teach you that,I think.
The point I was making is that in an emergency situation you probably don't want to swerve and be on the brakes at the same time. I think maximum lean angle and tire adhesion is more important at that time. I already can trail brake, and I use it on the road all the time, but I just wouldn't use the brakes in an emergency swerving situation. That's me. Maybe you do something different.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
The point I was making is that in an emergency situation you probably don't want to swerve and be on the brakes at the same time. I think maximum lean angle and tire adhesion is more important at that time. I already can trail brake, and I use it on the road all the time, but I just wouldn't use the brakes in an emergency swerving situation. That's me. Maybe you do something different.
One can surmise that riding a motorcycle with no brakes accelerated your perfection of that technique.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
One can surmise that riding a motorcycle with no brakes accelerated your perfection of that technique.
You remember what I told you when you took the Knuck: "Plan your stops". I got back a bike with the grips half torn off with finger indentations! You don't listen!
Old 09-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
You remember what I told you when you took the Knuck: "Plan your stops". I got back a bike with the grips half torn off with finger indentations! You don't listen!
You didn't say plan them with a calendar.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #18
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I don't fool around with no trailer braking, I just jam on the binder, kick the ass-end out and Lay'er down....right before she hits I jumps up on the crash bars front and rear and wait till she slides past the offending cager, then I reaches in my pocket real quick like, whip out Ms. Elsie P and give 'em a gad-dam* .380 cal. q-tip.... then I just roll the bike back up and off I goes.......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I don't fool around with no trailer braking, I just jam on the binder, kick the ass-end out and Lay'er down....right before she hits I jumps up on the crash bars front and rear and wait till she slides past the offending cager, then I reaches in my pocket real quick like, whip out Ms. Elsie P and give 'em a gad-dam* .380 cal. q-tip.... then I just roll the bike back up and off I goes.......
Dude, you are the shiznizzle.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #20
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Dude, you are the shiznizzle.
Can't let them cagers git the better of ya there compadre`.......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote