Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Advanced Riding

Old 07-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #1
Jools987
Registered Member

Default Know of any good advanced riding courses???

Does anyone know of any good advanced riding courses/schools? My dad recently started riding a bike again after 30 years off - he's now 67. I'd love to get him booked onto a refresher/advance course in an attempt to stop him becoming a deceased 'born again'. He lives in mid-Wales so something local would be good, but any suggestions welcome. Cheers.

Julie.
Jools987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

Julie,

Welcome to the site!

Not a lot of members on this forum from Ol' Blighty.

You'll have better luck on Sport-Touring.Net: For aficionados of sportbikes and motorcycle sport touring. or Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums.

Lots of serious Brit riders on both of those sites.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
ka5ysy
Founding Member

Thumbs up Riding Course for you dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools987 View Post
Does anyone know of any good advanced riding courses/schools? My dad recently started riding a bike again after 30 years off - he's now 67. I'd love to get him booked onto a refresher/advance course in an attempt to stop him becoming a deceased 'born again'. He lives in mid-Wales so something local would be good, but any suggestions welcome. Cheers.

Julie.

Julie, your dad sounds like the typical re-entry rider that we have at my Riders Edge new rider courses. He is not ready for an "Advanced" course at this point despite the fact that he has ridden before.

Either the MSF or the Harley-Davidson Riders Edge version of the New Rider Course (NRC) is perfect to review all the basics without a lot of stress. We have long-time riders that take the course for insurance purposes, and they generally all say they learned something they did not know.

If you have a Harley dealership nearby them a call and ask for the Rental and Riders Edge manager (they are generally the same person). The below noted site is the Harley website for Riders Edge.

If you want to try the straight MSF version, they are usually run under the auspices of your State. You can go to the MSF website and locate the state coordinator.

Doug

Riders Edge site is here:

Learn To Ride | Harley-Davidson USA

MSF LOCATOR SITE IS HERE:

Motorcycle Safety Foundation
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
Julie, your dad sounds like the typical re-entry rider that we have at my Riders Edge new rider courses. He is not ready for an "Advanced" course at this point despite the fact that he has ridden before.

Either the MSF or the Harley-Davidson Riders Edge version of the New Rider Course (NRC) is perfect to review all the basics without a lot of stress. We have long-time riders that take the course for insurance purposes, and they generally all say they learned something they did not know.

If you have a Harley dealership nearby them a call and ask for the Rental and Riders Edge manager (they are generally the same person). The below noted site is the Harley website for Riders Edge.

If you want to try the straight MSF version, they are usually run under the auspices of your State. You can go to the MSF website and locate the state coordinator.

Doug

Riders Edge site is here:

Learn To Ride | Harley-Davidson USA

MSF LOCATOR SITE IS HERE:

Motorcycle Safety Foundation
Too bad he lives in Wales. Sheesh.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
ka5ysy
Founding Member

Oops !.... Did not realize you are across the pond !!.

Get him into a basic rider course over your way and that would be the safest method go get him up to speed again. With your stepped licensing it probably requires training up anyway.

Doug
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
jilltm38
Registered Member

Julie,
totalridertech.com is an excellent course!! Tell him to check into it. It is around the country, hopefully in his area. i've taken several courses through it and have become a much more confident rider.
Jill
jilltm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
styla
Registered Member

I don't know what level of rider you are or how much you would pay for a class. If money is a big issue then I would do a track day and have the control riders to help you out or an instructor in the Novice group. I do know that riding on a track is nothing like riding on the street and when I teach I see a lot of people humbled who think that they are great "fast riders". The novice group in Sportbike Track Time teaches, the Intermediate, and Advance group do not unless you ask the control riders for some help. Now other options are the Kevin Schwantz school that has moved to Barber or the Corner Speed school at VIR, or California Superbike School the Keith Code school, or at Road Atlanta the Jamie James school. Now don't think for a moment that I am comparing STT to any of the other schools, I am not in any way at all. They are all top notch, but you can get some good help with your riding for a couple hundred bucks with STT and have a good time on a track. I hope that this helped you some.